Hows the Brandywine fishing this year?

KenBrown

Reaction score
I grew up fishing the Brandywine in the Downingtown/West Chester area and caught a mess of fish when I was a kid. I have since moved up to the Lehigh Valley and haven't fished that much recently. It used to get tons of fishing pressure, I am guessing that hasnt changed much. Has anyone fished it this season yet?

cwb124

Reaction score
It's been up and down with the rain but it's fishing as expected for a put-and-take fishery. Lots of fish when it's stocked, and jack **** except a random 8" smallmouth come mid summer.

KenBrown

Reaction score
I assume the big pool in Kerr Park still has insane fishing pressure. Used to catch smallies and carp down at the black bridge. Not sure if you can even get down there anymore.

cwb124

Reaction score
Kerr is hammered as is up 282 wherever there is struble trail parking. You can find some solitude on the river if you just put a few minutes of walking in. I'll probably be taking my 11 year old son this week sometime. Might even head up to French Creek.

KenBrown

Reaction score
Not to spot burn but there are some nice pools up towards Marsh Creek..at least there used to be. Havent fished it in at least 10 years now.

cwb124

Reaction score
Yeah along 282 has some decent spots but access is becoming an issue. It seems tougher to get to the other side of the creek from 282 and get in that way. Some random posted signs now so not sure where fishing is allowed/not allowed anymore. With the expansion of the struble trail and more parking lots for them, and their redoing the old mill on the river now, it's just tougher.

And there's no such thing as spot burning the brandywine.

KenBrown

Reaction score
They are redoing the old mill? Ugh..thats gonna kill the stream. I haven't been back down that way in quite some time. One of the best pools I fished was the one behind the old go kart track. Pulled quite a few out of there. The other spot I liked to fish was the dam below the campground, fish all the little pools below the dam...all kinds of fish

cwb124

Reaction score
They are redoing the old mill? Ugh..thats gonna kill the stream. I haven't been back down that way in quite some time. One of the best pools I fished was the one behind the old go kart track. Pulled quite a few out of there. The other spot I liked to fish was the dam below the campground, fish all the little pools below the dam...all kinds of fish
You mean the now closed campground along 282? It's tough to get in the water below there as there's no parking or pull offs except down by the pizza place and that intersection.

I don't know where old go kart track was. But there's nice water in there. Pouring now and hoping it calms down by tomorrow to take my son out.

KenBrown

Reaction score
Yea the campground was closed long ago. I think there is a horse farm across the street as well. You have to go up 282 to get to where the go kart track quite aways. It might be like 10 miles up the road? There are some really nice pools all the way up to where Im thinking about. I don't remember road names. When I fished up that part of it, very few fisherman after a month past opening day. I would have a couple hundred yards at least without seeing another person on the stream. They may not even stock that far up now.