hydrogen trout Spey 2wt or something else?

Mlatimer

Reaction score
I’ve been seriously considering taking the dive into trout Spey lately and have been looking at the Redington hydrogen trout Spey in the 2wt. Anybody used this rod in this weight? What lines work best for this rod? What size flys/streamers am I limited to? I’m not looking to toss big meat and a sink tip 150ft, but I’d like to be able to put a bead head wooly bugger or cone head sculpin out there a good ways. I know going up a weight or two would give me more power but I’m only going to be catching 10-15” trout so I don’t really want a huge rod. Also a hydrogen trout Spey in any weight higher than 2 has been impossible to locate new since it’s discontinuation. I’m open to other rods but I’d like to keep it under 350-400 or less since I’m new to Spey. Could I get away with something like a rio Skagit integrated line for simplicity for a new guy or would I be better off going the shooting head with mono running line to try and maximize distance?

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a very narrow view on the super light rods which often does not find support among those who promote them. If all the flies you intend to use are small and light and there is very little chance of hooking a 2 foot fish then it'll be fun. However, if you think that you may want to be casting larger and weighted streamers along with sink tips I figure you're gonna struggle with a 2 weight. I trout fish with an 11 1/2 foot Hardy Swift 7 weight. The 475 grain Scandi line will push out any fly I tie onto the tippet. When I say 'push out' I mean to 80 foot or greater lengths if conditions are acceptable for long line fishing. I can also scale down my leader and easily fish small flies in shallow waters. A 2 weight will fish the small stuff but not the big and therein lies the difference.

I do sometimes catch trout that are 12 to 15 inches and can't ever understand the people who say they don't enjoy a small fish on a heavy rod. I fish to see what I can catch not to enjoy 'the fight' which is only the panicked struggle of an animal in a state of shock. When I get a small trout I just reel it in without much in the way of theater but when I hook a 5 pound fish there are no worries because the rod will handle them as well. Even if I were to take a trip outside Alaska to fish the east or west I'd just take the same rod and be ready for anything that I might catch.

If I were new to the game and wanted a 2 hand rod I might be fooled by the marketing into going light but I'm not so I answer posts like yours with my opinion based on experience. Others may disagree but I won't be going light here.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a very narrow view on the super light rods which often does not find support among those who promote them. If all the flies you intend to use are small and light and there is very little chance of hooking a 2 foot fish then it'll be fun. However, if you think that you may want to be casting larger and weighted streamers along with sink tips I figure you're gonna struggle with a 2 weight. I trout fish with an 11 1/2 foot Hardy Swift 7 weight. The 475 grain Scandi line will push out any fly I tie onto the tippet. When I say 'push out' I mean to 80 foot or greater lengths if conditions are acceptable for long line fishing. I can also scale down my leader and easily fish small flies in shallow waters. A 2 weight will fish the small stuff but not the big and therein lies the difference.

I do sometimes catch trout that are 12 to 15 inches and can't ever understand the people who say they don't enjoy a small fish on a heavy rod. I fish to see what I can catch not to enjoy 'the fight' which is only the panicked struggle of an animal in a state of shock. When I get a small trout I just reel it in without much in the way of theater but when I hook a 5 pound fish there are no worries because the rod will handle them as well. Even if I were to take a trip outside Alaska to fish the east or west I'd just take the same rod and be ready for anything that I might catch.

If I were new to the game and wanted a 2 hand rod I might be fooled by the marketing into going light but I'm not so I answer posts like yours with my opinion based on experience. Others may disagree but I won't be going light here.
If you ever come back to the East and we can hook up on a river like say the Delaware and I can get a 4116 in your paws with some of my custom tied streamers I bet I'll have you singing a different tune :) !!!!!

Don't listen to him Tennessee ! Trout Spey All The Way ....but I wouldnt go as low as a 2 weight to start , too limiting but I bet it's fun as all get out !

Reactions: Ard

eastfly66

Reaction score
I’ve been seriously considering taking the dive into trout Spey lately and have been looking at the Redington hydrogen trout Spey in the 2wt. Anybody used this rod in this weight? What lines work best for this rod? What size flys/streamers am I limited to? I’m not looking to toss big meat and a sink tip 150ft, but I’d like to be able to put a bead head wooly bugger or cone head sculpin out there a good ways. I know going up a weight or two would give me more power but I’m only going to be catching 10-15” trout so I don’t really want a huge rod. Also a hydrogen trout Spey in any weight higher than 2 has been impossible to locate new since it’s discontinuation. I’m open to other rods but I’d like to keep it under 350-400 or less since I’m new to Spey. Could I get away with something like a rio Skagit integrated line for simplicity for a new guy or would I be better off going the shooting head with mono running line to try and maximize distance?
I would look into a 3 wt , something that handles 250 grain scandi around 270 skagit or so . A 4 wt offers a greater ability to toss bigger and weighted streamers within reason. I cast one of the Echo 3 wt spey and it was very nice , just cant recall which model. It is quite a bit over you budget but if you can scape up the coin the best deal going out there in TS is the Loomis IMX Pro short spey and the published line recs are dead on.

An example of a streamer that cast great on the #3 even with a SA Scandi lite 270 is a Graboid Leech over on the tying section at OPST ...and they catch fish too.

Reactions: Ard

tcorfey

Reaction score
Here is what I use:
Redington Hydrogen 3wt 11'3"
Lamson Liquid 3.5 reel
225 Gr. OPST Commando Smooth Integrated Skagit line with Commando Tips
12’ SHS 90 Gr. Floating Tip
12' 96 Gr. S2/3 Riffle Sink Tip
12' 96 Gr. S3/4 Run Sink Tip
12’ 96 Gr. S5/6 Bucket Sink Tip

I have found that a 6-7' leader works best when swinging wets and small streamers.

By the way this reel and line setup works great for single spey on my 9' 6 weight rods too.

I also make my own leaders out of mono and sections of T11 or T14 in place of sink tips, using what I learned from Ard.

LOC

Reaction score
I would go with a 3wt it will give you a wider window for fly selection, wind and a little more distance too.
I use a 4wt, small fish are still fun even on this rod.

Watch the auctions site some great deal can be found if you are patient although 3wts are harder to come by....

eastfly66

Reaction score
Take a look at the speypages classified , theres a #4 recently posted in your budget..........

LOC

Reaction score
I'm sure it's gone but there was a crazy good deal on Reddit fly fishing earlier today too.
It's funny how it can be hard to find a deal and then someone is almost giving their stuff away.

A Echo 3wt trout spey with Llamson reel and a quality integrated spey line was 200.00 for everything. It looked in great condition....

Blueduce

Reaction score
I second Eastfly66 suggestion, I just purchased the G-Loomis IMX-PRO short spey in 4wt, absolutely love that rod. The vendor will add the correct integrated line for the price of the rod so you save about a $100.
l asked the owner of the shop about the redington Hydro, he said, and I quote “ the hydrogen is fine if you like a 70’s VW beetle, the IMX-Pro is more like a Porsche Carrera in comparison“ his words not mine. It’s not a lot more money AND 3 & 4 wt’s are available. The warranty Is pretty solid as well.