I can't roll cast

motownphilly

Reaction score
I know it has been discussed a great deal, but I can't seem to roll cast. I have read articles, watched some videos and tried, but for some reason, I can't seem to get it. I think I am in my head too much... Any advice?

willyf

Reaction score
Are you roll casting on dry land or on water? It's a lot harder when you don't have the friction of the water. What rod are you using? Some rods (usually really stiff ones) just suck at roll casting. What line are you using? Some lines roll cast better than others.

I don't know what it means that you "can't" roll cast. What is the end result of an attempt?

J

james w 3 3

Practice. Practice on water. Practice short roll casts on water.
You'll eventually get it. Really you will, just keep at it.
Most guys I see struggling with the roll cast are trying to throw way too much line and/or using a rod way too fast for their current casting ability.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
A roll cast is performed just like a forward cast... Just without the back cast part :rolleyes:

:icon_idea First and foremost, the end of your line has to be moving before the pick up
If the end of your line is not in motion, you can't make a cast

Then bring the rod up to behind your ear and make the same "speed-up to a full stop" forward cast as you would with a regular overhead cast.
It's that simple

At a lot of places that I fish a roll cast is your best option and the rod that you use in such a place can make a difference
A full flex rod is perfect for this

(never leave home without your Fenwick ;))

randyflycaster

Reaction score
You might have too much slack in the line before you begin your forward cast. To avoid this, I hold the line against the rod handle with my index finger. When I start my forward cast I let go of the line. Also, it's important that I don't wait too long and instead begin the forward cast just before the line/fly stops moving backwards. This will insure that the D-loop is still a D-loop (no slack) at the start of the forward cast.

Finally, I'm not sure how much anchor - the amount of line - you have on the water. Experiment and see what works best. Too much or too little anchor will make it impossible for you to make an effective roll cast.

The length of the fly rod as well as the length of the head of the fly line will affect the optimal length of your anchor.

Randy

Randy

silver creek

Reaction score
I know it has been discussed a great deal, but I can't seem to roll cast. I have read articles, watched some videos and tried, but for some reason, I can't seem to get it. I think I am in my head too much... Any advice?
You are probably aiming too high or too low. If the loop is going INTO the water, you are stopping too low.

Try aiming the cast higher. You may be stopping the rod tip as it is going down and the fly line goes in the direction the rod tip is going when you stop. Beginners often mimic pounding a hammer by pounding the hammer head (rod tip) down. Instead mimic pounding the hammer like you are pounding a nail into a wall at your head level.

Make a very hard stop so there is a good energy transfer.

If you are getting a large loop, then you are stopping too high so try a lower stop point.

If that does not work, start with a side arm roll cast and then gradually raise the rod tip as you are able to make good casts at a lower angle.

Last edited:

weiliwen

Reaction score
Look for your local fly fishing club; some of them have casting clinics. I went to a casting clinic held twice annually by a club I belonged to when I lived in Vancouver, Washington, and in about 10 minutes, my roll cast went from a pile of line 15 feet in front of me to a solid 40-foot cast, thank to the help of a more experienced club member.

In addition to SilverCreek's advice about the hammer, I was told that my arm should be moving faster at the end of the cast than the beginning. So slow, then fast.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
In addition to SilverCreek's advice about the hammer, I was told that my arm should be moving faster at the end of the cast than the beginning. So slow, then fast.
Not quite. You accelerate through the cast coming to a sudden complete stop.
Rather than the hammer analogy, I prefer to think of it as the motion that you'd make to flick paint off of a paintbrush.

make the same "speed-up to a full stop" forward cast as you would with a regular overhead cast.
It's that simple

silver creek

Reaction score
There are a number of analogies.

I do like the flick paint off of a brush as well as tossing an apple off the end of the stick. The important thing about the hammer and wall is that the wall forces a HARD STOP. Plus when hitting a nail, there is CONSTANT ACCELERATION UNTIL the HARD STOP.

The HARD STOP is what all of the analogies are trying to get across to the newbie caster. Flicking paint off a brush, or an apple off a stick, or a hammer hitting a wall all illustrate the need for a HARD STOP.

The hammer is a common one that Joan Wulff uses. See Joan's first paragraph under "closed stance" below:

https://books.google.com/books?id=r...nepage&q=fly casting hammering a nail&f=false

Video Tuesday Tip: The "Hammer" Method of Fly Casting | Orvis News

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgBi9FcIEc[/ame]

Fly Casting Tip: Hit the Wall | Fly Fishing Traditions

"Instead, your forward stroke should be analogous to hammering a nail into a wall"

Basic Casting - Fly Fisherman

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Thank you to all!!! I will take a look at what I am doing and listen to you all
If you like visual learning, I suggest you buy Gary Borger's video called the Perfect Cast 1 for $16.50 delivered.

The Perfect Cast I | eBay

Gary takes you through the basic wrist casting, forearm assisted wrist casting, and whole arm casting. Then he teaches the roll cast starting at 51 minutes into the video. Then he teaches the "dynamic roll cast" also called the forward spey or switch cast at 54 minutes. You may actually more success with the forward spey cast because you energize the line by actively pulling the line to you, and this gives you more rearward momentum that you can use to load the rod for the forward roll cast.