I just can't see it !

troutnut4

Reaction score
I have just got into fly tying and noticed that at 66 my eyes are not the greatest for this hobby. I have used reading glasses for some time, but I think that something a little stronger is need here for fine work on #14 and #16 nymph flies. Looked into a set of Donegan Optivisor magnifying glasses, but the strongest ones available are a 3.5 magnification at 4" focal length. Does anyone here have any experience with this type product or what you might suggest to use?

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
How about one of those lighted magnifier things on the articulated arm? Thinking I may need one.

Sent from my iPhone

fishiowa

Reaction score
I have just got into fly tying and noticed that at 66 my eyes are not the greatest for this hobby. I have used reading glasses for some time, but I think that something a little stronger is need here for fine work on #14 and #16 nymph flies. Looked into a set of Donegan Optivisor magnifying glasses, but the strongest ones available are a 3.5 magnification at 4" focal length. Does anyone here have any experience with this type product or what you might suggest to use?
What power readers do you use? I use 1.5X cheaters for everyday use and 3.0X for tying which works well. The 4" focal length is closer than you would actually be to a fly. If you try the cheap drug store cheaters and they don't work Orvis sells 4X and 5X but they are $59 per pair.

lv2nymph

Reaction score
It sounds like a magnifier combined with a set of cheaters could work for you. Hit some places that sell them, bring a fly and your glasses with you and check out which one would work best for you. If you have good lighting at your tying table you might not need a lighted one.
One more thing, pay attention to how far the fly is placed from the magnifier when it's clear and make sure there's enough room to work a bobbin.

flytire

Reaction score
i have an eye doctor appointment on wednesday and will be asking him the same question (i know there are changes in my eyes lately that may need correction)

ill try to measure the distance betwen my eyes and my vise to help him decide the best focal length/prescription for me to use

i already have glasses for everyday use and for computer use. whats one more pair! :)

i'd rather he gave me professional advise rather than a quick trip to rite aid for $3 cheater glasses that may do additional damage to MY eyes. being diabetic i cannot afford taking chances with my eye sight

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I cant find them on their web site,,but my nephew picked me up a 5x pair of flip up's at bass pro a week ago to use with my size 20something fly tying. Might have been on close out,,as they were only 10 dollars and looked like a more expensive pair. They work OK on my customized short brimmed hat. The focal point is just too far out for a 3.5 or 4 inch brim. More of a 1.75 to 2" brim would be more apt to work. I cut the brim down on a ball cap and glued the cut area back together to 'make do' for a cap for the flip ups.

I have a pair of 1.75 flip up's,,and I really prefer glasses since I can get glasses that strength. Not sure you can get 5x in glasses or not.

I try to use the least I can. But, my extended vision is just fine..just the close up stuff is blurry.,,and it was the optometrist that told me TO get drug store glasses for this temp work. He said that is all a bi-focal is anyways,,a mag lens that lets you see at a pre-determined range. He may not know anything but I grilled him about it doing damage to the eyes and he said 'it won't do anything negative.'..but YOU take it for what that is worth. I don't really trust medical people much and I try not to use ANY of the glasses more than I have too.

silver creek

Reaction score
Use the brightest light source to illuminate the fly.

It is basic optics and photographers will know what I am talking about. The brighter the light, the more your pupil will constrict. Basically this contraction of the pupil is exactly like increasing the F-stop on a camera lens. The higher the F-stop, the greater the depth of field in focus. The greater the depth of field that is in focus, the closer you can get to the fly in focus. The closer you can get to the fly, the larger it will look.

The combination of bright lights and magnification will allow you to see small flies more clearly.

calftail

Reaction score
I have bad eyesight, poor lighting, and don't use a magnifier, but the one thing that really helps me is the background when I look at the fly in the vise. My favorite is nothing fancy, it's a standard manila colored file folder. I just put it on the table and clamp it with the vise and try to keep the folder clear of materials and clutter so that when I gaze at the fly there's nothing to distract my eye.

Years ago someone came up with the "profile plate" to accomplish the same idea. My vise setup is simple and I don't like gadgets and things that I bump into or have to maneuver around when tying a fly so I've shied away from the articulated stuff.

The background is not going to correct your vision though, you'll need some glasses for that but I just can't tie a descent fly without a background that allows me to focus on the fly. Try it you may like it.

troutnut4

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, great advice and I will try several things to improve my fly tying experience especially the level of lighting. My cheap drugstore glasses are a 2X. Maybe a 3X as well as better lighting will do the trick at least for now.:D

JoJer

Reaction score
I just got a new glasses prescription. and started tying again after a year layoff. I've been tying with readers over my prescription glasses because I have prisms in my 'scrip-my eyes don't focus at the same point- but even working through the big magnifying lens on my light with the cheaters and my glasses isn't working so well. Has anyone found lighting/magnifiers that work for tying since this thread was last up?

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm the same age as you but I did myself a favor way back in my mid 40's and began using a Jewelers Lamp. Back then I fished with #18 and 20 dry flies frequently and the lighting and magnification allowed my to tie very detailed little flies.

This one is quite old (circa late 1960's?) and has 3 light tubes and 3.5 X magnification.

I have it mounted to my little bench and have been using it now for about 25 years.

That's a look up under the hood. The light is the main thing for me but the magnification helps me to tie some really neat salmon and steelhead flies because I can see the details.

There are modern versions sold at lighting and home improvement stores and they are affordable. I can't guarantee they will last as long as mine has but they are available, just put a high intensity bulb in one if you decide to go this route.

Works for me :)

trev

Reaction score
I don't think light or magnification has changed much since the '60s; at age 70 and with cataracts I find light more important than magnification and I prefer fluorescent to LED, although I'm currently using both at the vise. I prefer readers to the articulated magnifier because I can move my head to different angles without losing perspective and I find the large magnifier in the way of my hands.
What works for you will be what you find out by trying all the suggestions above.

JoJer

Reaction score
I have a single-bulb lamp with a magnifier, seen here:

I use an LED bulb in it and it's been an improvement, but especially with the prisms, it's really hard to stay focused trying to working thru the big lens.
I'm hoping someone can tell me good things about headlamp magnifiers.

Sandy Bryan

Reaction score
Hello TNut,
I am almost your age and am commiserating with you. I have tried the Magnifier on a gooseneck but always found it in my way. I am using the Optivisor DA-4. It doesn't magnify as much but has a 10" focus point. It works for me. That way I only have to worry about my light position.

I hope that helps.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
I've been using an Aldi magnifying lamp for a few years now and it's a cracker.The LED's emit a clear bright light and the lamp stands on a solid pedestal base.Aldi has more than 1,800 stores in 35 states in the U.S.and is focused on growing in the Midwest.....cost was around $40USD.They come up on sale periodically like most Aldi stuff.I also use my normal reading glasses in conjunction with the Lamp.