I knew the Canadian Dollar was having its problems ...

duker

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm gonna have to put a hold on my fly tackle acquisition until the Canadian $ gets back up closer to par. Just too much of a hit at the current exchange rate, even buying tackle on sale.

On the other hand Fred, as holywaters has pointed out, now's the perfect time for you Americans to come and fish up here. And if our dollar stays low I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you on the Bulkley this fall on my annual steelheading trip.

Scott

onemississipp

Reaction score
Kind of bitter sweet to ask, but what about some Canadain fly shops we can shop online....help the economy you know? ;)

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Kind of bitter sweet to ask, but what about some Canadain fly shops we can shop online....help the economy you know? ;)
If they are reselling American goods that were originally priced in more costly US$ at wholesale, and they don't cut their markup, there wouldn't be much difference in the effective retail price to an American buyer because they would have had to raise their quoted price in CDN$.

However, an American who wants to buy some Canadian-tied salmon flies (for example) or other Canadian-made items can get a good deal on them because the CDN$ is cheaper now, assuming the shop's retail price in CDN$ hasn't risen.

onemississipp

Reaction score
I did a bit of searching last night and came to the exact conclusion you stated...and it seemed I could even buy cheaper in U.S. without taking shipping into account.

J

james w 3 3

However, an American who wants to buy some Canadian-tied salmon flies (for example) or other Canadian-made items can get a good deal on them because the CDN$ is cheaper now, assuming the shop's retail price in CDN$ hasn't risen.
Oh yes! I recently bought a number of Canadian tied flies on eBay, and will be going back and ordering a bunch more. Crazy great deal on really nicely tied flies.
Hmmm, now I'm thinking about that Canadian Mounty fur hat I've been coveting for winter. :rolleyes:

silver creek

Reaction score
Economic uncertainly has made the US$ stronger vs all the other world currencies. Good for US consumers but bad for US companies trying to sell overseas.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Maybe this is the opportunity to take the family back up to Fernie for a camping trip. I do like it up there and if the prediction comes true and the loonie drops to 75% of a greenback...well,,,

holywaters_ca

Reaction score
Can't beat Fernie for the cutties! The Elk, Michelle, the St. Mary's river.

Love it! We are talking 20-30 fish / day all on the dry fly!

My Buddy guides out of there and on the Columbia in Nelson BC.

PM me if you want any info