I know that you know;

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But I'll post this because I just did it. I'm in an in between time here, Kings are about done and survivors are on the reds or close to it by now, and Silvers have yet to show in any appreciable number. So I'm sitting here watching the grass grow wondering when I might have to mow it again and I think, "I should clean the corks on the Spey rods that have been used this year.

Now this salmon fishing thing can be a dirty business especially if you catch fish. All that slime and when you have them near shore you stir up a ton of silt that muddies the water and ends up on your hands because the slime acts as the transporter. Next stop for the slime silt compound in the cork grips of those expensive rods so I thought I'd better have a look. Typically I did not think to take before and after images but they were all bad and one of them had began to mildew because the rod sock had gotten wet.

The new program is the household cleaning agent 409, the way that stuff will clean the top of the gas range I couldn't imagine rod grime standing a chance against it. Right O' on that call and you just scrub them off with a kitchen sponge not the 3M scrubber part of the kitchen sponge which was cool with me.

Results;

Hardy - Guideline - X Rod - One Rod and Galeforce Rod, protecting the investment by keeping them in good condition. Give the 409 a go next time you realize they are getting grimy, come to think of it there are 6 more in the closet of the back room but I think I did them before they went to the tubes, better check.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great tip. Will it polish an Abel Nipper? :ROFLMAO:
You're trolling me aren't you 😬

Norton, I've been watchen you and I know that you know that I've been watchen you .................. And I know that you know that I know that you know I've been watchen you.

Hi Ard. do you ever wax or other wise treat the corks? I haven't done, but I have seen both wax and sealer recommended.
I've never considered treating cork grips but the thought of using a diluted bleach compound to brighten them has crossed my mind but I left that pass. I've become a grip cleaner due to the price of these things, back in the day I'd let them go till they looked like walnut.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
I couldn’t resist. I will try the cork cleaning tip. I have a rod with 30 years of goo all over it that’s gotten pretty rank.

Reactions: Ard

trev

Reaction score
I've used Soft Scrub to clean the corks in the past with good results, but my rods don't seem get very dirty, I'm frequently washing my hands in the creek and slosh off any slime that's on the rod. Keep a wet towel in my belt for hand wiping too.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess that regardless of how we do it anything is better than just letting them go. We've had plenty of how to clean the cork grip threads here but when I found that I had 5 of them all outside drying I had to snap that image and start yet another. Now I'm sitting here at 10:02 PM considering removing a Scandi line from a reel and installing a Mid Spey on it. This is one of the reels I have no extra spool for. Come to think of it I don't have all that many with an extra spool :unsure:

Past 1:00 Am where you're at isn't it? You're a night owl.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Sorry about all the salmon slime all over the Sage one and X, I thought the occasional dunk in the river for landing fish and snapping a quick pic would help with some of that. :). I think I might of slimed up the Hardy swift too, that tube could get stinky. I didnt think to clean them up, cause I do it like once every couple years. The old Echo had green mold on it a number of years ago. pulling it out for the fall season. yucky.

I just use dish soap and a 3m scrubby, a quick twist not too hard, it bites easy, new cork. Dont want to sand them down. lol

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did the Dawn and 3M scrubby pad for years Steve but I think the 409 cuts the grime better without any abrasive at all. As you saw from the image I did all the rods that were used.

trev

Reaction score
You're a night owl.
Sometimes. Rarely sleep more than three hours at a time. Comes with maturity they say.
Now I'll have to buy some 409 just to have and the 3M pads too. For whatever reason we've never kept either on hand.

thomasw

Reaction score
Ard, thanks for the 409 tip! Your cork looks fantastic.

Now about the salmon you name with King and Silver: are those the Spring (Chinook) and Coho?

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ard, thanks for the 409 tip! Your cork looks fantastic.

Now about the salmon you name with King and Silver: are those the Spring (Chinook) and Coho?
Yes Springers / Kings are the same as Chinook and Silevrs are the Pacific Silver Salmon also known as Coho.

ddb

Reaction score
Someone has to say it... Abrasives like the Mr. Clean pad are hard on the soft cork material as it ages and thus make the harder rings in the cork stand proud. and they can do a number on the fillers in some cheaper rods.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone has to say it... Abrasives like the Mr. Clean pad are hard on the soft cork material as it ages and thus make the harder rings in the cork stand proud. and they can do a number on the fillers in some cheaper rods.
Good one DDB!

That's exactly why I went to the 409 and smooth sponge for cleaning them. That and when I considered the job that stuff will do on the range top I couldn't imagine it not cutting the grime on the grips.

Here's another use for 409: Do your fishing caps get really dirty? Sweat stains, bug dope and the brim is always bad from where you grab hole taking it off or flipping it on. Put it in the sink and spray it down with the cleaner - While the stuff does its wonder work fill the other bay of the sink with warm water . That's your rinse water, rinse well and then put them on a large can, a one gallon paint can works well enough. This will 'Block' the cap like the old 70's era fatigue caps were done.

I've been keeping my favorite caps looking good this way for years.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ard, what do you mean when you say "block" your cap?
Old school technology Dave, back in the day nearly everyone had a large empty Maxwell House coffee can or similar in house so ........... Those are roughly the same diameter as a human noggin so when the cap is wet you fit it down over the can so that the front portion of the crown above the brim is held straight and stands tall when dried. This was the way I learned to restore a fatigue cap so you looked sharp under scrutiny .

Make sense? All my caps have some sort of logo above the brim. The cotton type caps have a way of losing that nice new shape and blocking after a wash brings them back.