i live in california,, how do you wade in ' gator ' country?

karstopo

Reaction score
please correct your spelling... it's ' alfa romeo '... and could you please tell whats wrong about living in california? we have ' hat creek. hot creek, upper sacramento, pit river.. feather, yuba, american, truckee, carson, walker owens rivers. i can keep going if you like,, wonderful beaches, and mountains... nice lakes to fish in, rivers,, catch shad, salmon, strippers, etc... good fishing weather year around.. so, california is all that bad,, you dont have to fish here..not being rude,, but....
He, at least I think Okaloosa, was making more of a dig on ‘Bama, not California. California, the coastal Hollywood bunch and like minded, their ideas about a lot of things, might not be oh so popular in certain locals, but that cuts both ways. In reality, you’d and anyone else would be just fine in Alabama or anywhere else down in Dixie.

okaloosa

Reaction score
He, at least I think Okaloosa, was making more of a dig on ‘Bama, not California. California, the coastal Hollywood bunch and like minded, their ideas about a lot of things, might not be oh so popular in certain locals, but that cuts both ways. In reality, you’d and anyone else would be just fine in Alabama or anywhere else down in Dixie.
I just had a catfish dinner tonight in south Alabama . I can assure you I meant no dig against Alabama. You wont catch me dining in California.

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good evening to all-
Well, Brothers, I live right in the middle of gator country, and I have seen several large-economy size gators while kayaking. Never had any problems with them.
Now, when it comes to wading, I don't do that sort of thing. It's a very productive way to fish, especially with the long rod, but I just don't get in the water with gators. I don't like to pollute the water, and if I were to be approached by a gator while wading, I would pollute the water, I promise. It might LOOK like a cloud of mud, it wouldn't be mud. Just sayin'.

You all be safe and keep well-
Ed

del gue

Reaction score
We've got lots of gators in Florida. I mean, LOTS! During mating season if you go out to Lake Myakka and shine a light out on the water all you see is eyes...makes you think you could walk across the lake on the backs of all them gators.

I don't wade in fresh. Period. The gator is a vestige of the dinosaur era with great big teeth, a little brain, and a skewed idea of where he exists on the food chain. Nor does he concede that I am the apex predator. I read, seen, and heard too many stories of golfers reaching into the water to retrieve a ball and pulling out a stump...too many stories of folks walking their dogs and returning home without said dogs...a story of hunting dogs that kept turning up missing until it was learned a gator was staking out a river crossing and nailing the dogs as they crossed. My brother used to own a bass boat and whenever we went fishing I always took gator and snake repellant.

I'm not a fan of gators. Others may not agree, and that is their God-given right, but that is my position, and I'm sticking to it.

okaloosa

Reaction score
They don’t sell many float tubes here in Florida. ;)
They have two types of float tubes I have seen being sold in Florida. One for guys who have never used float tubes in Florida before and one for those who have used them here before...The float tube kit for first timers comes with two flippers;)

silver creek

Reaction score
They have two types of float tubes I have seen being sold in Florida. One for guys who have never used float tubes in Florida before and one for those who have used them here before...The float tube kit for first timers comes with two flippers;)
They should come with three flippers, just in case one gets eaten by a gator.......:p

del gue

Reaction score
I may regret asking this, but what do you use that you think keeps snakes and gators away? :)
Yeah, you prolly are gonna regret asking. I always stuck a Smith & Wesson Model 66 2.5" .357 Magnum in the top tray of my tacklebox.

If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, know that I never had occasion to need or use it. :)

Swfl gladesman

Reaction score
Don't worry about the gators you can see worry about the ones you can't.I have lived in South Florida for a long time and will not wade in Freshwater or the Everglades (bull sharks) are more dangerous.

yikes

Reaction score
In all seriousness, though, count me as another Californian - - I appreciate alfaromeo asking the question. I often see video of people fishing in alligator territory - - but usually from an embankment or boat. Does anybody wade at all? Or step out of the boat? What about in coastal mangrove estuaries?

Swfl gladesman

Reaction score
I live in South Florida and mostly fish from a boat I don't wade in Freshwater at all because of gators but also water moccasins they're an aggressive snake that will come at you instead of fleeing.

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
Well, to be honest, the biggest reason most folks down here on the Gulf Coast don't wade when in gator country is not the gators- it's the composition of the bottom. Gators live mostly- at least here in 'Bama and Louisiana and Mississippi and Texas- in swamps and bayous where the bottom is a deep, super-sticky and adhesive-like mud. First step in this stuff and you are in up to the knee in mud. the next step, and you're up to the thigh.
No one has ever successfully taken a third step.

Seriously, this mud is some kind of spectacularly nasty stuff.
Now, over in Florida, it is possible to find good solid sand bottom where gators live, but I've never had any problem with gators in those conditions.

Lord, that's why we make kayaks- so we don't have to be right down in the water with the creatures who live there.

You all be safe and keep well- Ed