i live in california,, how do you wade in ' gator ' country?

karstopo

Reaction score
Yep, my most threatening close encounters with wildlife while fishing have been the two legged variety. Life and limb is getting cheaper by the day in the USA. Guy got murdered then beheaded at one launch I have used.

Southerncaster

Reaction score

GRASSNGLASS

Reaction score
I agree the two legged critters are the ones most dangerous down here in Florida.

Although, the eight legged ones can be troublesome also. My wife was doing yard work and a Black Widow bit her on her back. She went through lots of pain and various medical treatments.

outofthesaddle

Reaction score
I agree the two legged critters are the ones most dangerous down here in Florida.

Although, the eight legged ones can be troublesome also. My wife was doing yard work and a Black Widow bit her on her back. She went through lots of pain and various medical treatments.
I’m curious about how she was able to identify it as a Black Widow bite. I’ve had a few nasty bites and reactions over the years but haven’t been able to identify what it was that bit me.

GRASSNGLASS

Reaction score
She's fine now, took over a month to start clearing up. Happened two years ago.

She suffers sever migraines and said the bite pain was worse than anything she had experienced previously.

driftless22

Reaction score
I fish basically in salt water. Have seen gators in brackish water.
What is more of a concern is crocodiles in southern Florida. Didn't believe, or want to believe pictures seen. Then saw film from a news crew. Crocodile on Miami Beach.
Maybe it's just my imagination, but it does seem like we are seeing a few more crocs on the southern Gulf coast, south of Everglades City.

riverbilly

Reaction score
My old Louisiana buddy used say, you Texans are wimps about gators. Y'all see one and your tying to figure how to get away as fast as you can.
Us Cajun boys see one and we're thinking about what side dishes we're going to serve with it.

This post needs a poll - which would you rather get bitten by, an Alligator, a Crocodile, a Shark, a Snake, a Stripper or a Black Widow. :p

And that's why I'm a kayaker.

GloveMan

Reaction score
Had a few run ins with Gators in South Texas around the creeks and rivers near Freeport. Nesting Momma Gators are the most dangerous as they are territorial not so much hungry for your Orvis enclosed butt. I have had a few 10 footers charge my skiff when fishing up creeks with brackish water. Also have had some aggressive Gator encounters fly fishing around suburban ponds where the Gators will snatch a bass off your line, but they were small. The more dangerous Gators are the ones idiots feed. They come to you and will chase you up your lawn and eat your dog in a blink. People are still the most dangerous predators out there. Gators are just being Gators.