Ice out, float tube, fly rod, click-and-pawl...

desmobob

Reaction score
I have a thing for small-sized big game reels like the Odyssey I or Mirage I, but I seem to always end up using an old CFO or some other click-and-pawl reel. This lake trout on the 5wt made the CFO III make some noise. :)

Spring 2021.jpg

I even had a pickerel take the smelt streamer I was using...

Spring 2021_03.jpg

It was a fun morning, despite having two wet feet in the forty-something degree water. The old Orvis Silver Sonics need some Aquaseal on the booties...

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's quite a pair, can't say I've ever talked to anyone who caught both those species on the same trip, must have been some good fishing.

desmobob

Reaction score
I was fishing at the mouth of a shallow, weedy bay in a large lake (Lake George, in NY). There is a brook that empties into that bay and the lake's smelt spawn in it. During the smelt run, it's possible to catch a landlocked salmon, lake trout, northern pike and pickerel all in the same spot!

Last edited:

desmobob

Reaction score
Cold wet feet, brrrrrrrrrrr! The things we go through :D
I'm saving my pennies for a nice new pair of Simms Guide Classics with custom-sized booties to fit my big feet. I think the fact that the stocking feet on my existing waders are two sizes too small is what makes the darn booties leak!

desmobob

Reaction score
Given that my stocking foot waders are leaking so badly (the UPS man is delivering my Aquaseal today), I crossed the border into VT and fished Lake Bomoseen this morning. I fished the shallow northern end where the water was considerably warmer than Lake George's, putting my tube in at the state launch off the Johnson-Spooner Rd. near Float Bridge.

I hadn't even kicked my way out to where I was going to start fishing when a yellow perch hit the size 8 olive and white Clouser that was dragging along behind the FatCat tube. I had a nice morning, catching yellow perch, largemouth bass, northern pike (one bit the fly off just as I got him to the tube) and black crappie.

A nice older couple in lawn chairs fishing at the launch were impressed with the tube. The also got a good chuckle when I emptied the water out of my waders and wrung out my socks! :rolleyes:

I'll decide whether or not I'll be calling Simms to order new waders after I do my taxes this evening...