Ice out

thom

Reaction score
The local lakes here in South Central Alaska are beginning to show open water. Numerous stocked and wild populations of rainbow are largely overlooked in the chase for salmon. This is a new fishery for me and a fishery that is often centered on dragonfly emergence later in the season. Early on some people do target trout as they awake to the chance of shallow water warmth and feeding. So far my two outings have been a good chance to refine rods and lines, to paddle a new canoe, and to soak up sun and warm. Diving waterfowl are about and feeding, as are a few gulls. The trout do seem to still be under the ice. For those with experience at such fishing do you notice conditions of temperature, sunlight/shade, mass of ice yet remaining, etc. as triggers for feeding activity? My next trip will be to a predominately shallow lake which is largely already ice out. Thanks for any suggestions you might offer.

Attachments

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Message sent, I have a busy day ahead but you can reply on the private message and if you want send me your phone number and I'll ring you up when I have time today.

bushak

Reaction score
I'm moving to Wasilla May 26. I'm looking forward to hitting up some of the local lakes as well. A belly boat is probably on the budget for next summer though.

thom

Reaction score
It’s relaxing to bo out there with the waterfowl on anything that floats. I’m sure you know about the Kinik glacier winds. That breeze can hammer the lakes out East but it usually dissipates before Wasilla. Welcome to the neighborhood.