ID on a rod

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't read the script, it appears to start with the letter C. The insert looks like a really nice Amboina Burl. Reel is Hardy Angel, good taste all round.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I can't read all of it either but as Ard says starts with a C then it has a model number looks like 8287 or 8387 or 8317? Then a build number looks like #37 so probably a small quantity bamboo rod maker with a custom insert. Thats about the best I can do.

JoJer

Reaction score
I went to the Carlin website via the link. Clicked on the Spey rods button. The photo at the bottom shows the sections of the rod. Two of the sections are cut/shaved through the rod from one side to the other. Is this just to show the composition of the inside of the rod?

tcorfey

Reaction score
Looks like Carlin does have some rods with an Amboyna Burl reel insert see picture 197 of 232 in his gallery. You could probably ask where he gets them. He does use some custom Bellinger reel seats.

Bellinger reel seats does sell Amboyna spacers
Here is the picture from Bellinger...
STABILIZED AMBOYNA_.jpg

I saw the mudhole carries some Amboyna reel inserts from REC but as with any wood product no two are the same.

Link to mudhole:
Shopping

Best of luck. I am going back to tie some flies.

Jojer, on the main page Carlin shows a cross section showing how the rod is made. On the Spey page he is showing a rod made with spliced Ferrules.
Spliced ferrules are sometimes used on Bamboo spey rods as some feel a spliced ferrule is better than a metal ferrule in that application.
Spliced ferrules are usually held together with a high quality vinyl or electrical tape like 3M makes.

Tim C.

Last edited:

redietz

Reaction score
Two of the sections are cut/shaved through the rod from one side to the other. Is this just to show the composition of the inside of the rod?
No, it's a spliced joint rather than using ferrules. The sections are taped or wrapped together. It's fairly common on bamboo spey rods. Lighter, transfers energy better, and can't be torqued off.

dennyk

Reaction score
Jojer, on the main page Carlin shows a cross section showing how the rod is made. On the Spey page he is showing a rod made with spliced Ferrules.
Spliced ferrules are sometimes used on Bamboo spey rods as some feel a spliced ferrule is better than a metal ferrule in that application.
Spliced ferrules are usually held together with a high quality vinyl or electrical tape like 3M makes.

Tim C.
Thanks Tim and redietz! Those had me scratching my head, never saw those before.

Denny