If you had $8-$900...

Sako75

Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay in replying (i don't get a huge amount of time at the moment ;)) As it so happens a knock at the door the other day revealed a UPS employee with an oblong box that contained a brand new Sage LL 5wt....it's a long story and i won't bore you with it but the Centric is on hold for a little while now.
Thankyou for all your replies really helpful and there truly are some knowledgeable people here, i'm very much of the school that despite what i think i know i want to know/learn more.

dswice

Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay in replying (i don't get a huge amount of time at the moment ;)) As it so happens a knock at the door the other day revealed a UPS employee with an oblong box that contained a brand new Sage LL 5wt....it's a long story and i won't bore you with it but the Centric is on hold for a little while now.
Thankyou for all your replies really helpful and there truly are some knowledgeable people here, i'm very much of the school that despite what i think i know i want to know/learn more.
Congrats on your new Sage LL 5wt. That's a fine selection. I'm glad you found a rod that will work well for you, suits your fishing style and properly accommodates your habitat. Enjoy using it and may it help you bring many nice trout to net.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Thank you.
While I agree with S&S that we don't need to ask for someone's opinion they can be helpful. Chances are I would have never discovered the great tapers Carl is doing with Epic glass rods if it wasn't for the opinion of El Jefe. For that I am very grateful. But I'm not one to just spend money on something I'm not happy with and then turn and sell it for a loss. I knew from El Jefes posts that we fished alot of the same waters and felt we approached them in the same way.
While I disregard most of the opinions on rods from everyone here some can be very enlightening. Reading between the lines is a very useful tool.

new2flyfishing

Reaction score
I am a beginner fly fisherman and as such I do not seek out reviews on more expensive rods. I couldn't take advantage of them with my limited ability and at 73 probably never will. Of course I've read reviews on more expensive rods while searching for a lower cost rod for myself. I had to go read some reviews on the Sage LL 5wt after your post. Man, that 9' 5wt seems like the cat's meow to me for the type of fishing it is designed for.

I have to assume that you know exactly what you are looking for in a rod that expensive. I think you got one sweet rod. Makes me want to go buy one even tho I know it performs way above my abilities.

Cody06

Reaction score
Makes me want to go buy one even tho I know it performs way above my abilities.
I’m also a beginner. Unfortunately I agree most rods will perform above my ability. But I’ve strongly considered a higher end rod and feel like I’ll learn and grow with it. Most likely benefit from lessons as well.

proheli

Reaction score
I’m also a beginner. Unfortunately I agree most rods will perform above my ability. But I’ve strongly considered a higher end rod and feel like I’ll learn and grow with it. Most likely benefit from lessons as well.
Regardless of your skill level, it never takes long to appreciate small differences on higher quality things. Jeans with a little bit of stretch, oven baked pizza. BMW vs Corolla. Lighter wheels on your motorcycle, or more expensive suspension. Its endless. It would take a million dollars a year to simply buy the best of everything a guy had in his life. Its exhausting to try and in the end not as rewarding as first imagined. Its up to each guy to spend his $$ on what he feels like he might enjoy. If you don’t think you’d enjoy a nice rod, then you probably wouldn’t, but you seem to think you would, so… you would.

One caveat might be that there are a lot of mid priced rods that are near as good (or as good as the senior offerings) so I suppose a guy could end up wasting a couple of hundred bucks, but also, when you get exactly what you want, there is usually a burst fo freedom and excitement that comes with that - and you learn a lot. So that in itself is worth it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Quality casting lessons, unavailable in my green years, are a terrific investment in enjoying this sport. My belief is it is easier to grow with a decent rod but not a top of the line challenging one. There are rods available that even experienced anglers find difficult to adjust to. Select a good mid priced rod suited to the habitat you will fish the most.

Cody06

Reaction score
Regardless of your skill level, it never takes long to appreciate small differences on higher quality things. Jeans with a little bit of stretch, oven baked pizza. BMW vs Corolla. Lighter wheels on your motorcycle, or more expensive suspension. Its endless. It would take a million dollars a year to simply buy the best of everything a guy had in his life. Its exhausting to try and in the end not as rewarding as first imagined. Its up to each guy to spend his $$ on what he feels like he might enjoy. If you don’t think you’d enjoy a nice rod, then you probably wouldn’t, but you seem to think you would, so… you would.

One caveat might be that there are a lot of mid priced rods that are near as good (or as good as the senior offerings) so I suppose a guy could end up wasting a couple of hundred bucks, but also, when you get exactly what you want, there is usually a burst fo freedom and excitement that comes with that - and you learn a lot. So that in itself is worth it.
I could wear hand me down clothes, eat frozen pizza, and drive an old truck for the extra $ in a rod . I’m the same with hunting, my bow and gear are where I find quality most enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonefish41

Reaction score
And a mid priced rod can be a good used 750-850 rod that once was...be all and end all and even ole S&S would not refuse a good used Sage One or Method in his weight preference for 300-375 and

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
And a mid priced rod can be a good used 750-850 rod that once was...be all and end all and even ole S&S would not refuse a good used Sage One or Method in his weight preference for 300-375 and
Interestingly, though I regard the trout sized ONE's as among the finest rods (for me) ever, I do not care for the salt sized models. And these are exactly the kind or rods I do not want the novice desiring good quality to buy...too demanding.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The guides are too small for the salt and are good quality but stainless steel. I fished a custom built ONE #8 with a fine guide set and salty reel seat but found it oddly too stiff, not too fast, a little clubby. But then I did not like Meridian, Salt Air, H2 #8's either. Even in newer Igniter I prefer the #7 to the 8-weight and SALT #8 is a #9. This leaves the two Loomis #8's and my Stickman T8 standing alone for bonefish. Well, maybe the new Hardy too.