Illinois

Kingfin

Reaction score
Hey all, my first post on the forum. I've fished Iowa and Wisco streams and gonna get up to Minn. soon, here's what might be a dumb question, if Illinois is in the driftless area, how come they have not developed any Trout streams in the N.E. corner of the state, there a few streams up that ways. Wondering if Illinois just doesnt want to do it or it's too costly, true Illinois is broke I guess. Anyone have any ideas, thanks.

Kingfin

Reaction score
Cool link JJ, thanks but they only have one river they stock which is in a park, kinda like stocking a pond in the local forest preserves and everyone fishes it out that weekend. I know theres smallie fishing up there as well. -But I do see a few other streams not listed. Jo Davies county is classified as part of the Driftless area. I just think they could get some of those streams, some trout in them as well, like the other three states. More trout fishing for me, oops I mean us and more biz for the community. So just wondering why they have not done any, if it's geological or political or no ones ever thought of it.

2bornot2b

Reaction score
TroutRoutes has some streams identified as containing trout, not much detail but there may be more on the advanced version, I am too cheap to subscribe.

silver creek

Reaction score
Hey all, my first post on the forum. I've fished Iowa and Wisco streams and gonna get up to Minn. soon, here's what might be a dumb question, if Illinois is in the driftless area, how come they have not developed any Trout streams in the N.E. corner of the state, there a few streams up that ways. Wondering if Illinois just doesnt want to do it or it's too costly, true Illinois is broke I guess. Anyone have any ideas, thanks.
Not sure what you mean by "developed trout streams."

The great majority of driftless streams in Wi have had no "development". The ones that have are the famous ones. There has to be enough water flow to make doing work on a stream worthwhile.

srock

Reaction score
They do stock one stream, or they used to near Harvard, IL. It is called Piscasaw Creek. It is west of Harvard and has good public access. The problem has been that many of the trout migrate to Wisconsin, really. This creek is fun to fish and does have some deep runs and is clear. It is similar to a drift less stream. It is managed by the McHenry Conservation Commission if you have questions. Stream has a lot of big chubs, trout can be caught early but are not in big numbers. Enjoy, give it a try. A very pretty part of IL.

silver creek

Reaction score
They do stock one stream, or they used to near Harvard, IL. It is called Piscasaw Creek. It is west of Harvard and has good public access. The problem has been that many of the trout migrate to Wisconsin, really. This creek is fun to fish and does have some deep runs and is clear. It is similar to a drift less stream. It is managed by the McHenry Conservation Commission if you have questions. Stream has a lot of big chubs, trout can be caught early but are not in big numbers. Enjoy, give it a try. A very pretty part of IL.
So do former Illinois residents. :^))