In search of calm river water - Testing new fishing kayak

RAVC

Reaction score
I am hoping members can suggest locations where my son and I can test our new tandem fishing kayak. I am trying to identify sections of rivers that have slow moving or, no currents so I can paddle upstream and downstream to return safely to our parked vehicle. For now I am only considering day trips so this will restrict my attention to the LP. We will be fishing for trout and steelhead. I am hoping to identify segments of water on the Rifle, Rogue, Pere Marquette, Little Manistee, Manistee, and Au Sable that will permit this but I realize some of these rivers may not offer this and I will have to avoid those that do not feature reliably calm water.

Please let me know if you need additional information from me. I'll monitor this as best I can.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
When I was younger and did this I always started my day paddling upstream or did this with a buddy parking 1 car up and 1 car down.

RAVC

Reaction score
When I was younger and did this I always started my day paddling upstream or did this with a buddy parking 1 car up and 1 car down.
Unfortunately, we cannot implement this strategy easily. My son recently obtained his learners permit. We can utilize this method if my wife has time to go with us for the day...and we have discussed this option.

rusty 54

Reaction score
I'm not sure about paddling up! If you want to just check it out for a short float, the Manistee from Burnt cabin (I think, but it's the first launch above CCC Bridge), to CCC Bridge. If all fails, you can walk back up. It's not far.

RAVC

Reaction score
Yes, I know it might sound like 'unobtanium conditions' but my son and I planted Cedar's below Mio dam in September and at our meeting location of Comins Flats the river is quite wide and calm. I just do not know how many locations like this exist elsewhere. I ask a difficult question to be sure! In fact, when we were on our vacation at Gates Lodge in mid-August we saw someone trying to paddle upstream at the canoe landing adjacent to the lodge property. It was not pretty...

Thanks for the locations on the Manistee. I'll look into these with Google Earth.

rusty 54

Reaction score
Mio to Comins Flats is pretty user friendly to learn on. Comins to McKinley is nice too, any of these you would need a spot.

RAVC

Reaction score
The three of us have discussed and at least for our initial test voyage the wife and dog will join us so we can have the vehicle located at the point where we leave the water; probably using McKinley as the exit because this will give us a longer float.