Indiana trout waters

FlyHoosier

Reaction score
Morning everyone! I'm not new to fly fishing, but am fairly new to chasing trout. I'm not looking for anyone's personal stretches or hot spots, but curious to where everyone's favorite waters are to fish in and around the Hoosier state? Just recently got back into fly fishing after about a 15-20 year break. When I was a kid we'd wade Eagle Creek, the Big blue river, and parts of White river. We would just fish for whatever bit. I've never specifically targeted trout here. Any help pointing me in the right direction or advice is greatly appreciated

ddb

Reaction score
Check out your state game website. They could have a trout stocking effort if only in a few of the colder lakes and who knows there could be few streams holding natives.

I grew up in Michigan. But cuz My Dad was from Indiana, we vacationed there every year post WWII. (The five kids and my Dad and Mom probably accounted for a good share of the state's annual tourism.) I remember corn rows growing out solid to cross roads with no ability to see oncoming traffic; fine, hospitable, folk; great homestyle food; and twisty country roads with names like the Devil's Backbone. After a few days it got pretty boring and Dad would think up a side trip -- like a visit to "Mt. Indiana" 50 feet higher than the rest of the state. We had lots of family members who were avid outdoorsmen including one that was an outdoor journalist but I never heard of any trout fishing in the state back then. They all came to Michigan for trout!

FlyHoosier

Reaction score
Thank you both, I appreciate it very much. And ddb, childhood memories like that are always awesome. We would take trips like that through the backroads.. Dad would see a Creek, pull over and say "welp.. Let's fish here" lol and away we went.. Definitely fun times

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Isn't Indy more of a Bass area? That's fun on a flyrod too. I was going to fish the area when I raced at Indy in 2017. I might be back racing there in September and hope to get some time on the water. I like to fish where ever I travel. Sometimes even close to town the fishing is surprisingly good. I caught a nice monster just a few miles from Austin last month racing there. That whole area around Eagle reservoir does it have potential? I would imagine the further out of the city the better the water gets?

FlyHoosier

Reaction score
Isn't Indy more of a Bass area? That's fun on a flyrod too. I was going to fish the area when I raced at Indy in 2017. I might be back racing there in September and hope to get some time on the water. I like to fish where ever I travel. Sometimes even close to town the fishing is surprisingly good. I caught a nice monster just a few miles from Austin last month racing there. That whole area around Eagle reservoir does it have potential? I would imagine the further out of the city the better the water gets?
It is mostly, spent the last 15+ years tournament Bass fishing, several spots dnr stocks just wasn't sure which spots worked out better than others. I appreciate the help for sure. Eagle Creek isn't bad at all

tpo

Reaction score
I'd suggest you talk to Fly Masters Fly Shop, or pay a visit if you live near north Indy. Its a nice shop and they can give you some advice. There are a few rivers holding steelhead that flow into Lake Michigan, and at least one trout water (tailwater flowing from Brookville Reservoir as I recall) but its mostly warm water fishing there. I visit relatives around Indy every few years and fish with a nephew. I'm amazed at the quality of the bass and panfish we find in small retention ponds around where they live, I always look forward to fishing them. Good luck.

Tom

FlyHoosier

Reaction score
I'd suggest you talk to Fly Masters Fly Shop, or pay a visit if you live near north Indy. Its a nice shop and they can give you some advice. There are a few rivers holding steelhead that flow into Lake Michigan, and at least one trout water (tailwater flowing from Brookville Reservoir as I recall) but its mostly warm water fishing there. I visit relatives around Indy every few years and fish with a nephew. I'm amazed at the quality of the bass and panfish we find in small retention ponds around where they live, I always look forward to fishing them. Good luck.

Tom
Thank ya sir, I'll give that a shot. Retention ponds do seem to grow some good ones for sure, always fun indeed

Ryhags

Reaction score
Not sure how far you are from the St. Joseph river, the steelhead are really running right now. If you’re anywhere close let me know.