Inexpensive 7wt line for bass

Jecox

Reaction score
Are there any lines in the $50 range that anyone can recommend for bass fishing using a 7wt Sage Sonic? I didn’t mean to buy another rod but couldn’t resist when one of these finally became available. So I’m trying (feebly) to make amends by saving a little money now.

trev

Reaction score
First two that come to mind are SA AirCel @~$30 and Cortland 333 @~$40, in WF7F, they may say "trout" in the description but 40 years ago they were both "premium" lines and worked in most all circumstances. My current stream smallmouth line is SA level taper L7F @~$15 but I can't find one online.

Jecox

Reaction score
Check out this line. I have a coupe of them and have no complaints.

I had never heard of that brand. I’ll check it out. Thanks

burk48237

Reaction score
Both the SA Frequency Magnum and Cortland Big Shot are around $50 retail and do a great job handling big bass bugs.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
Another vote for the cortland 333 or the scientific anglers aircell 39 dollar line- I use both, they are excellent. No matter whic line you purchase, I recommend that you clean the line with mild soap and warm water after each use especially if the pond or lake has weed or algae growth. Cleaning the line makes a world of difference for consistant floating and long term use. It only takes a few minutes and is worth your time.

desmobob

Reaction score
Ebay. Damaged package lines come up frequently for 1/2 or so.
When I'm looking for a cheap line, I look at the big auction site. If you're patient, you can often find a dealer who is selling off an old line that is no longer in the manufacturer's line-up or has been updated, an older line in a shop-worn box, or specialty lines that don't sell quickly and have been sitting around for a while.

Alternatively, I agree with previous recommendations for the Cortland 333 or Scientific Anglers Air Cell budget lines. I would be careful to avoid the very low-priced unpackaged offerings available that are probably cheap lines from Chinese manufacturers. I tried a couple of these lines out of curiosity (from Aliexpress; the "Chinese eBay") and was disappointed.

BillNye

Reaction score
Rio Outbound short is a great line for throwing bass bugs.
I saw maxcatch has an “outbound” line they offer now for 30 dollars. Only comes in floating though might be worth checking out if you are on a budget.

desmobob

Reaction score
I saw maxcatch has an “outbound” line they offer now for 30 dollars. Only comes in floating though might be worth checking out if you are on a budget.
I tried that line. It lost its slickness very quickly. After a re-treat with 303, it casted well for a while, then quickly lost its slickness again. I also tried two of their clear intermediates. One came out of the package melted together like licorice and the other was very sticky. Both went into the trash and the "outbound" is in a drawer as a back-up to a back-up.

No more cheap Chinese lines for me.

BillNye

Reaction score
I tried that line. It lost its slickness very quickly. After a re-treat with 303, it casted well for a while, then quickly lost its slickness again.
Sounds like they made a pretty good copy of the rio lines then :ROFLMAO:. I have 4 different rio oubound lines between my 8 and 10 wt rods and they also lose their slickness and get sticky but cost 100 dollars a pop vs 30. I still keep buying them though….

Last edited:

Sleddog

Reaction score
Although I haven’t had any issues with my Rio Outbound lines, Rio’s new 2021 line have their new “Durable SlickCast” coating.

BillNye

Reaction score
Although I haven’t had any issues with my Rio Outbound lines, Rio’s new 2021 line have their new “Durable SlickCast” coating.
Do you fish in salt or fresh with them? I can definitely tell the difference between the line I just bought on close out and the one I’ve had for a while . All of mine are the intouch version.

I haven’t cleaned and coated them yet this season so they are due I’ll report back once I get to it. I have some of that loon line lubricant/cleaner I just bought but haven’t used yet.

Sleddog

Reaction score
Do you fish in salt or fresh with them? I can definitely tell the difference between the line I just bought on close out and the one I’ve had for a while . All of mine are the intouch version.

I haven’t cleaned and coated them yet this season so they are due I’ll report back once I get to it. I have some of that loon line lubricant/cleaner I just bought but haven’t used yet.
I fish freshwater. A lot of the water is dirty, mossy. I also practice on the lawn quite a bit. So, I clean & treat my lines 2-3 times a season.
All of mine are intouch version too.