Inexpensive waterproof point-n-shoot

desmobob

Reaction score
Over the years, I've always carried a high-quality pocket-sized film camera (Olympus XA, Olympus Stylus, Yashica T4 Super) or, in later years, a digital camera in a zip-loc bag in a vest pocket. When my last beloved digital point-n-shoot (Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5) died, I found out the market for that class of camera had been killed off by the mobile phone camera... most everyone had a mobile phone, and most every mobile phone had a good-to-excellent built-in camera so no one was buying low-end digital cameras any longer.

Well, I'm one of those few people who don't own a mobile phone. But I did pick up an iPod Touch which is just an iPhone without phone service. The camera is impressive. And I hate using it. It just doesn't feel right holding the thing and I'm certain I'll eventually drop it into the water.

I have a Nikon D750 DSLR and a "beater" Nikon D200 for risky environments. The D200 is a bit bulky to carry on normal fishing outings. I just ordered a Fujifilm Finepix XP130 waterproof digital point-n-shoot. It cost a little over a c-note and has a 16.4 MP sensor (my D200 DSLR is 10.2MP). It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I'm anxious to do some test shooting with it.

Anyone use one?

silver creek

Reaction score
I suggest the latest Panasonic Lumix series. The latest one is $128 with free shipping. I have bought from both these companies without any problems.

I'd buy from B&H since the digital card and carrying case is included. Kind of makes me want to upgrade my older Panasonic/

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Digital Camera with Accessory Kit

Adorama

Here's an underwater photo of a Madison River Brown with my old DMC-TS-2

desmobob

Reaction score
I suggest the latest Panasonic Lumix series. The latest one is $128 with free shipping. I have bought from both these companies without any problems.

I'd buy from B&H since the digital card and carrying case is included. Kind of makes me want to upgrade my older Panasonic/

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Digital Camera with Accessory Kit

Adorama
Cool shot!

I did love my old Lumix DMC-TZ5 until it died. When I looked at the waterproof Lumix, the reviews scared me off (36 5-star and 8 1-star). Actually, most of the cameras in that range have a sketchy ratio of good:bad reviews, making selection a bit nerve-racking.

I also use B&H and Adorama for photo gear. The new FinePix, along with a new lens for my Nikon DSLR, is coming from B&H. I have their "Payboo" card and it credits me the 7% NY sales tax I have to pay and gives 4% rewards on Nikkor lens purchases too. In my lifetime of buying photo gear, B&H in NYC and KEH Camera Brokers in Atlanta have been my favorites and have provided consistently excellent service.

JoJer

Reaction score
I decided early on when I bought my camera gear in Japan, you can't use it if you leave it home. For the next 5 years I was carrying 5K worth of camera gear around on (military) police patrols in my briefcase. Also on horse back for a couple of months pushin' cows in Idaho. That day did temporarily disable my motor drive (dust), but it lives to this day. Like the stereo, I sold most of the stuff I should have kept and vice-versa. More recently, My son gave me His Nikon Coolpix. The manual is a half inch thick and the tech is definitely showing it's age. My mid priced LG phone has double the MPs. I wish I could afford a simple, manual 35mm digital body I could put all my neat Nikon lenses on.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I’m curious to see your feedback and results on the one you purchased. I too have a D750 and love it but it’s a lot to travel with so have considered a higher end point and shoot for trips where air travel is involved...but I do a lot of night photography so my options are limited.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
Good luck with your choice.I still prefer a point 'n shoot waterproof camera over worrying about an expensive Iphone out on the salt water flats,and my ancient Nikon Coolpix AW100 is still going strong afyter many trips to remote locations.I like it because you can clip on a 40.5mm.Hoya UV filter.....this is a must-have for any images taken in blinding daylight.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have a little Nikon Coolpix that fits in a pocket. It works fine. I also have a Nikon DSLR that mostly stays home because it is pretty bulky. I also have an old Nikon film camera and a bunch of lenses, but unfortunately they won't work on the digital camera; they fit mechanically, but I get an error message. Anyone know a workaround or hack?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Mine's a Nikon Coolpix AW120. I love it, but I don't think there's really much useful difference between the major brands. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Fuji.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
I've been satisfied with the versatility and durability of my Nikon Coolpix W300. As per moucheur, above, I'm feeling they're all pretty capable. Looking forward to seeing your photos from the Fuji!

dennyk

Reaction score
I do have the Finepix XP 130, I've had it going on 3 years now and it works just fine. I did drop it once on cement, yup it's shockproof, just got away with a small rash above the lens hood. I've used this camera in sub freezing temps to 90+ degree temps and the performance was the same. I always carry it in my vest or sling pack. Even with the shape my hands are in I can use it single handed without trouble. I paid $120 for the camera at Best Buy with the memory card.

Enjoy your new camera!

Denny

desmobob

Reaction score
I have a little Nikon Coolpix that fits in a pocket. It works fine. I also have a Nikon DSLR that mostly stays home because it is pretty bulky. I also have an old Nikon film camera and a bunch of lenses, but unfortunately they won't work on the digital camera; they fit mechanically, but I get an error message. Anyone know a workaround or hack?
What Nikon DSLR do you have? Nikon has ensured a lot of backwards-compatibility in their photo lines, and I use a lot of very old manual-focus Nikkor lenses on my digital D750; some are even non-AI lenses from the 1960's that have been modified by some simple machining so they'll fit and function.

Check the user's manual for you digital camera for the section on "lens compatibility." In most cases, you'll only be able to shoot in shutter priority or program modes with older manual focus lenses mounted.

Here are links to a couple of articles that may help you:
Using Manual Focus Lenses on Nikon DSLR Cameras
How to use old lenses with Nikon DSLR | Camera and Lens Review

desmobob

Reaction score
I wish I could afford a simple, manual 35mm digital body I could put all my neat Nikon lenses on.
You probably can afford one. Technology makes everything "obsolete" in no time these days. As an example, I wanted a beater digital SLR body for situations where I wouldn't want to be carrying my newest DSLR. I found a used Nikon D200 (with a minor issue I knew I could repair) for $100. This camera sold for almost $2K when new.

How long has digital dominated the photo scene... ten or twenty years now, right? So, a digital camera that was the top of the line "pro" grade ten years ago is now considered obsolete and relegated to the lower shelf in the used camera department. Check out KEH Camera Brokers in Atlanta for used gear. I've been dealing with them for about thirty years with no complaints.

Do a little research first. Some Nikon DSLRs will use the older manual focus lenses with no problem; a few won't. And don't get hung up on the megapixel ratings... the different sensor sizes in phone cameras vs. digital SLR cameras makes it an apples-to-oranges comparison.

desmobob

Reaction score
My new FinePix XP-130 camera impresses the heck out of me! I read the manual and was pleased but it seemed to be lacking a lot of information. It turns out the printed manual that comes in the box is very condensed and the complete manual is on line. I downloaded it. Holy cow! This little $110 camera does nearly everything my full-sized DSLRs will do!

Some test shots in the yard seem excellent and as sharp as I would hope. Out of focus areas are not distracting. A couple of brick wall shots show very little distortion at either end of the zoom range. The test shot attached has lost some fine detail due to the resizing done by the forum software. (It's a horrible photo that I took just to look at fine detail and the out of focus areas.)

I'm happy to have a good-performing, pocket-sized and waterproof camera that I can carry on the water with no worries.

Now, I just need the ice to melt off the lakes and ponds, and for the April 1 trout opener to arrive.

Attachments

myt1

Reaction score
I have an Olympus Tough.

It has been dropped in the water numerous times and I've never had an issue. In fact, it can take pictures underwater like some of the other above mentioned cameras.

I don't like taking my phone to the river. I'm just too afraid it can get lost or dropped in the water.

The Tough has a feature where it is easy to transfer photos from the camera to your Phone using wi-fi. It really works well.

IMG_1489.JPG

desmobob

Reaction score
I was surprised to find that the $109 FinePix XP-130 also has bluetooth and Wi-Fi for remote operation and for transferring photo and video files. The camera has a ton of features and capabilities.

The Olympus Tough TG-6 (or whatever the latest model is) is considered by most reviewers to the be best waterproof compact digital camera. If I didn't already own WAY too many cameras, I would have picked it. Instead, I went the budget route (but I'm not disappointed at all; at least so far...).

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I copied this post from Photography Chat in the Lodge threads, I really like the camera I have.

My old Panasonic Lumix has served well. For 128.00 I got a slew of fish pictures out of it but for anything other than close up work it pretty much sucks.

I have fished with people using the Olympus Tough cameras and finally found one that fit the bill for me. I like the fish in the water close up shots but with a standard P&S camera they are a matter of trial and error.

Shots like these from the LUMIX;

That's low but ones like this are even better...

Pictures like that are normal for me to take but when I actually have someone with who could shoot one for me it gets complicated because most aren't familiar with the low angle thing. The result is that I have to hold a fish a lot longer until my cameraman gets a good one.

Here's my new fishing camera.

Waterproof and all the other Tough features and......... check this out

That's what the viewing screen that is in fact the view finder looks like on most cameras but this one does this...

90* or more if you need it!

The screen will flip up to whatever angle is needed when taking a low to the water or ground shot :) Picture quality is good too but I have only tested in my yard because things are getting too cold here. All I have to do now is catch a huge trout and have someone with to get a picture, if that happens the flip screen should make it easier for all of us men and fish alike :)

myt1

Reaction score
Dang, I must have an old Olympus Tough.

Mine doesn't look anything like yours. Mine is a couple posts above yours.

Does yours have the wi-fi feature?

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Rick,

Off the cuff I'd say I don't think so because I don't know. If it did I'd probably have noticed an icon or something. My main purpose for buying it was that hinged viewing screen. You can hold the lens right down to water or ground level and be able to see perfectly through the screen what you're gonna get. Good image quality also :)