Info Requested on Early Graphite-USA Carbon/Boron Blanks

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
I'm looking at a rod I'm curious about because I believe it may be built on a Graphite-USA carbon/boron blank from circa 1978 and built by a quality UK company of the period.

Just wondering if any old timers remember these particular blanks and if so, fondly or not so fondly?

Thanks for any memories you may have,
James.

First Light

Reaction score
Revival of an old memory. I believe Gary Loomis was working at Graphite-USA during that period, and several years later I can remember him saying to "stay away" from boron rods. What little I remember him saying was that real boron fibers were "heavy, fragile, too stiff, and difficult to blend with other rod building materials."

rmorrison

Reaction score
Late to this party but Walt Powell (a longtime friend of Gary's) built a few rods on these blanks too. I have an 8'er and it's a lovely little caster. Haven't fished it much so maybe it would prove not to be durable. It's more a part of the collection than a frequently used rod - Walt built very few rods on those blanks and so it's sort a unique example and one I'm pleased to have. But I do like how it casts.

ddb

Reaction score
A buddy of mine was an eminent engineer specializing in materials and looked at the early boron graphite in some depth.

He said that many of the early boron/graphite blanks had issues. The two fibers were different sizes and this tended to leave erratic gaps filled by the resins that were weak spots in the blanks. It was hard to make the blanks uniform so there was random breakage in some rods out of a production run that was otherwise OK and there was no way then to fix the problem.