Inherited Sage Fly Rods

dennisalbers

Reaction score
Hi All!
I inherited 35 Sage rods. I like to fly fish but I'm no collector, I was wondering if you guys would be willing to impart some knowledge on these. Any you would recommend keeping (to actually catch fish, not dust!)

Appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance

. Image 5-26-21 at 12.29 PM.jpg

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Welcome!

Well, that LL 389-3 is a real dog. I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Seriously, many of those rods were considered best in class in their day and still hold up very well against current rods. In terms of which to fish, it really depends on what you fish for and the conditions. The LLs and XPs, which are completely different, remain very highly thought of. The SLTs, SPLs (kind a niche rod) and SPs are all very fine rods too. I've never cast a RPL+, but I think generally they aren't as highly regarded as the RPLs.

Since they're presumably all used, you're not going to hurt the value by using them a bit. So depending on what weights you need, I'd take several rods that are the same line weight and cast them on a lawn or if possible on water, and see which rod appeals to you most and keep that one or maybe two (e.g., the LL 486 and XP 490 are pretty different, and so even though both 4 wts only 6" apart in the length you might determine you "need" both). There are no right or wrong answers in terms of what to keep and what to sell.

BTW, #20 presumably is a XP as I don't believe there was a XL.

Good luck to you.

jayr

Reaction score
To determine real world value, go to Ebay and search completed auctions. Do not look at current asking prices, that is totally irrelevant. You have to do an advanced search to go to completed auctions.

dennisalbers

Reaction score
Yes most definitely have looked and was quite surprised of the going prices! The only difference is that the majority of my rods have a hard case

jayr

Reaction score
Yes most definitely have looked and was quite surprised of the going prices! The only difference is that the majority of my rods have a hard case
if it is the original rod tube and sock, that will help. Non original cases/tubes will lessen the value.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Congratulations! You're a very lucky man indeed.
If you have a little time, take a look at this thread.
Sage Rod Chart Old to New

You'll find a lot of info which may be of interest to you there.
Enjoy the rods. You'll find some suit your personal style more than others but they'll all be quality as that's what Sage make. :)

dennisalbers

Reaction score
Congratulations! You're a very lucky man indeed.
If you have a little time, take a look at this thread.
Sage Rod Chart Old to New

You'll find a lot of info which may be of interest to you there.
Enjoy the rods. You'll find some suit your personal style more than others but they'll all be quality as that's what Sage make. :)
Awesome info and that's exactly why I wanted to come here to post what I had! Thank you

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Congratulations on the good fortune! Fantastic collection! Test casting them will be fun. Now all you'll need is a bunch more reels and lines to match the quality of the rods.