Interesting hatch today on the Tellico river

thom

Reaction score
Wow! Was that thing floating or at rest? Back in 1965 four friends rolled a Ford Falcon into the run below Baby Falls. They all survived.

Hardscrabble

Reaction score
Did you fish? Water’s still very high around here. I spent a day down there a couple weeks back and did fine up high on the stockers in the morning but I was skunked with prejudice on the North that afternoon.

Tom Turkey has me pretty distracted right this minute but that’ll wear off in a week or two. I like fishing in the park but every now and then I like to see if my rods still bend.

jayr

Reaction score
Did you fish? Water’s still very high around here. I spent a day down there a couple weeks back and did fine up high on the stockers in the morning but I was skunked with prejudice on the North that afternoon.

Tom Turkey has me pretty distracted right this minute but that’ll wear off in a week or two. I like fishing in the park but every now and then I like to see if my rods still bend.
Yes, fished the North. It was not near as cold (water) as I thought it would be. Did okay, several others had the same idea as me. Water was high, but the North is more manageable in the right sections.

NCAndy

Reaction score
Yes, fished the North. It was not near as cold (water) as I thought it would be. Did okay, several others had the same idea as me. Water was high, but the North is more manageable in the right sections.
Does the North require the supplemental permit the Tellico does?

jayr

Reaction score
Does the North require the supplemental permit the Tellico does?
No. Neither does the Bald. Both are wild streams. Single hook, artificial lure only. Citico requires the permit though, if you go over there.

jayr

Reaction score
I will ad to my original pic I posted.

The rest of the story (aka Paul Harvey) is the woman driving this car was going down the river road and was texting. Now anyone that has ever been down the river road can fully appreciate how stupid this person is/was. The rescue squad had to come fish her out breaking the rear window in order to get her out.

Hardscrabble

Reaction score
That road will shake your confidence, your general outlook on humanity and any dental work that requires adhesives. It’s better than it used to be when it was all washboard and gravel, but still scary. I wonder what cell plan she uses because mine sure doesn’t work in there.

jayr

Reaction score
That road will shake your confidence, your general outlook on humanity and any dental work that requires adhesives. It’s better than it used to be when it was all washboard and gravel, but still scary. I wonder what cell plan she uses because mine sure doesn’t work in there.
Oh, hell yes!! I remember how that road used to be. It is like an interstate now compared to back in the day. But you are correct, it will shake your confidence especially when you meet up with someone coming the other way.

And I want to know too, what provider she has. As soon as I get on the road there at the river my cell goes dead.

NCAndy

Reaction score
I've kayaked the Tellico many times over the years and know it well. I've also ridden the Cherohala Challenge out of Tellico Plains on my bike. Love the area, but Tenn. out of state fishing licenses are expensive especially with the added permit for the Tellico and Citico.

jayr

Reaction score
I've kayaked the Tellico many times over the years and know it well. I've also ridden the Cherohala Challenge out of Tellico Plains on my bike. Love the area, but Tenn. out of state fishing licenses are expensive especially with the added permit for the Tellico and Citico.
You are absolutely correct!!!

I will go one even further. I can fish in NC as a non resident cheaper than I can fish in TN as a resident when it comes to trout. Not only do you have to buy a fishing license, but a trout permit and if you fish Tellico, Citico, etc. a daily permit fee of $6.50 unless you buy one of the all inclusive licenses. About the only time I fish the Tellico is during the DH when the daily fee is waived and the bait fishermen decline due to C&R only in that section.

As an aside, another reason I frequent the GSMNP is not only due to it being closer to me, either a standard NC or TN fishing license only is required no matter which side of the park you fish. No TN state trout permit is required.

Kingfin

Reaction score
Curious, how much are the licenses? My better half said lets go to Tenn or NC for vacay and I'm a midwest Fly fisher (she's spin fisher) and catching GSMNP trout is on my bucket list ;) So Im like great idea, hon! I guess I could look that up but I need to get some posts on here.

jayr

Reaction score
Curious, how much are the licenses? My better half said lets go to Tenn or NC for vacay and I'm a midwest Fly fisher (she's spin fisher) and catching GSMNP trout is on my bucket list ;) So Im like great idea, hon! I guess I could look that up but I need to get some posts on here.
License fees vary with where you fish in TN. Exactly where do you want to fish? Tellico (as you replied to this thread) or the GSMNP which you mention in your post? Tellico is in the South Cherokee National Forest, not the GSMNP. Fees vary quite a bit between the two. Licenses in the GSMNP can be either TN or NC, no matter what side you fish.

For license fees, start here:

Last edited:

Kingfin

Reaction score
Ah, okay, got it Thanks we just started kicking this around, sorry for my confusion man. I will do further investigation.
Jayr, do you still have the TFO ? If you do, could you pm me, I cant pm yet. Again thanks...