iPhone "Portrait" issue

gbanker

Reaction score
I have some pictures that I took with my iPhone that were taken in "portrait" mode; camera held vertically instead of horizontally.

When I try to post them to this forum they appear sideways.

Is there a simple way for a non-techie to deal with this issue? Thanks

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Open the images in a photo program on your computer then save them on the computer as a new file.Then post the new saved photo and the orientation should be corrected.For some strange reason the EXIF data of the photos when taken on a mobile phone is not always translated to the computer correctly.Opening them in a photo program and saving them as a new file changes the EXIF data and tells the computer the correct orientation for the photo.I use photoshop but paint may work just as well.

gbanker

Reaction score
Downloaded Photo Pos Pro 3 and was able to deal with the orientation issue. Think I'll revert to my camera and not have to worry about orientation issues or dropping an expensive phone in the water. Thanks for your help.

pescatore

Reaction score

Greetings:

Image orientation can be a problem, especially with camera-phones.

The best medicine for that problem is a very compact waterproof camera, not much larger than a pack of cigarettes, it is the Cats Meow for shots when wading in the water.

They can be had on ebay... where some very good deals are available between 50 & 150 Buckaroos. The camera can be set up so your images are oriented correctly and the JPEG files sized appropriately for transmission over the WWW and posted to sites.

For those who choose to do some editing prior to transmission, there are plenty of simple editing applications available on the Web. ( IrfanView, PhotoScape, FastStone-Image Viewer, PicPick, Photo Pos Pro, Paint.NET, JPEG Viewer, PicsArt, GIMP) and on and on they go.

Regards,

Don
:cool:

Attachments

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have a little waterproof Nikon point-and-shoot that works great. It is not a real dive camera, but I have taken it a little ways underwater while snorkeling (swimming with the manatees, that sort of thing) and it held up fine.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have seen this issue in the past, I wonder if you open a portrait photo on your phone, hit edit and turn it 90 degrees and then save, if that wouldn't work?
I guess I will have to give it a try.

pescatore

Reaction score
I have a little waterproof Nikon point-and-shoot that works great. It is not a real dive camera, but I have taken it a little ways underwater while snorkeling (swimming with the manatees, that sort of thing) and it held up fine.
I use a AW-100 camera when fishing, it is designed to withstand water pressure down to 33 feet. It took some getting used to... looking at the subject on a LCD display instead of a view finder like my DSLRs. It does a fair job for viewing on a computer so long as you don't want to enlarge or print 8X10s, then they begin to look like News-Print.

Don