Is Maxima ultragreen a good alternative to flourocarbon leaders in lakes?

hendodesign

Reaction score
I am doing some streamer fishing here in the colder temps on a lake close by my place. Does Maxima ultragreen work well for streamers to go after trout and bass or do I need to get a fluorocarbon leader? If so what do you guys suggest for stillwater?

Im just using a combo of 10lb and 8lb ultragreen tied together to make a 10' leader on my intermediate and floating lines.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
For stillwater streamer fishing it should be fine, in most cases.

I wouldn't necessarily use 10 ft. of it though. I rarely fish anything longer than 5 ft. leaders when stillwater streamer fishing.

hendodesign

Reaction score
Good to know ... I use a shorter leader on my single handed 8wt spey setup, but didnt think to do the same on my 6wt.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I should've said that I've used everything from Stren Blue-Green, Spiderwire Superbraid, Fireline, to more recently Seaguar Abrazx. It all will fish, the fish don't seem to be very line-shy when your fly is more than 5 ft. down, and the tip of your flyline doesn't seem to be a problem either.

There are some rare occasions when I've lengthened my leader to 9 ft. and used flouro exclusively, but those situations were gin-clear water, relatively shallow fish, on very bright days.

Generally speaking however, 5 or 6 ft. is long enough and it's easier to cast bigger, bushier flies farther on a shorter leader. For the most part, all of this is also true of streamer fishing in a stream/river as well.

runningfish

Reaction score
The Maxima Chameleon is another good option. I am using 3ft of 10lb Maxima Chameleon for fishing deep drop off spey casting from the shore to reach it with intermediate sinking head. I believe at that depth it won't matter floro or nylon. and I don't taper my leaders either.

And just like Rangerrich, I am switching to Seaguar 4x or 3x (9.5lbs) flourocarbon for shallower clear water.

10 lbs Maxima tippet tho is stiffer and thicker than Seaguar 3x flouro so it'll turn heavier flies better. That is another reason why Maxima is very popular with the steelhead fisherman swing with big flies.

hendodesign

Reaction score
This is great info. The lake isn’t crystal clear by any means. Lots of Lilly pads, grass, logs, and muddy water on the banks. I mostly fish from a kayak so I’m trying to mix it up knowing that there are both largemouth bass and trout in the lake. What brand of fluorocarbon tippet do you guys recommend and what size for 4-8 size streamers. I’ve kept it to 0-2x for the big fluffy wollybuggers and clouser minnows. Hoping to try the chironomid pupa game this spring. Those might need fluorocarbon since most are 12-16 size emergers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87North

Reaction score
I've always had great luck with Maxima fluoro on any body of water. They make excellent line, and the ultragreen is my favorite.

silver creek

Reaction score
I am doing some streamer fishing here in the colder temps on a lake close by my place. Does Maxima ultragreen work well for streamers to go after trout and bass or do I need to get a fluorocarbon leader? If so what do you guys suggest for stillwater?

Im just using a combo of 10lb and 8lb ultragreen tied together to make a 10' leader on my intermediate and floating lines.
When fishing streamer, whether in rivers or lakes, the most important factor is getting the fly DOWN to the fish.

Therefore, I think the fly line is more important than the leader. Specifically, what is most important is using sinking tip or sinking line to get the fly down to the fish!

Close to shore you can use floating line, but when fishing the deeper portions of the lake, a full sinking line or sink tip line will be more effective. Then use a short section (about 2 feet) of level leader to keep the fly at the level of the retrieve.

Instead of buying new line, you can use a polyleader or versileader system to choose the sink rate of the fly line.

Read this about fishing streamer in lake:

Do I need a sink tip?

Dumb question about sink tip lines

Cortland mini-head kit!

justahack

Reaction score
I use maxima ultra green for tying most of my stillwater leaders. I add a fluoro tippet only for small flies. No-slip loop knot to flies in all cases.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
At last year’s (2019) Denver Fly Fishing Show, I attended a seminar on streamer fishing by Jeff Currier. He advocated a double streamer leader/tippet setup of about 10’, with the first one tied off a tag at around 5’. Depending on the situation, I usually keep my second streamer closer to 2-3’ off the point resulting in a total leader length of 8’ish. I’ve had success with this setup both on rivers and still water but it really seems to shine on stillwater.

I use Trouthunter flouro tippet fwiw, typically 2x to the first fly and 3x to the second.

lue

Reaction score
I thought for a while that size didn't make a difference but one outing a friend and I was fishing the same hole he on one side I on the other casting and stripping the same fly, he was catching fish on every cast after releasing I nothing after a bit he ask what size tippet I was using I told him Maxima green 8 lb test, he gave me some 4lb test fluoro the moment my fly hit the water I was into fish. Another time we was indicator fishing I am using 3X nothing thing happening my friend is into fish soon he tells me to put 6x on the bottom fly once again I am into fish. I now fish 6X most of the time an have caught fish up to 20 inches.

trev

Reaction score
Maxima used to have different stiffness by color with Chameleon being stiffest, and best for leader making, Ultragreen being too limp for anything but tippet or casting and clear was supposed to be in between. said so in their advertising, I used Chameleon for many years til it became unavailable locally and then bought some Ultragreen, I've never used the Clear. I hope the Chameleon is still stiff because I need some now.
As far as I've been able to determine there is never a need to use fluorocarbon other than a desire to. I've tried it in three different brands and at different times of the year and never discovered the magic. The fact it is unaffected by everything and will last forever is enough reason for me not use it, but that is the reason many people do use it.