Is tenkara replacing your western style fly fishing?

guido

Reaction score
Not until they come out with a 10 wt. tenakra rod I can cast 70 feet with...

guido

Reaction score
Guido, they do make salmon rods and they are very expensive, but as to 70 feet I don't think so, is 70 feet where all the fish are.
When blind casting for big fish the longer you can present the fly at the right depth, the better your chances of presenting your fly to a fish. The 6-12" flies might be a factor in this too...

knotjoe

Reaction score
When blind casting for big fish the longer you can present the fly at the right depth, the better your chances of presenting your fly to a fish. The 6-12" flies might be a factor in this too...
Yes, I reckon so. Might also be that the fish inclined to eat such offerings would require Olympic sprinter level conditioning to land on fixed line rigs. Wouldn't hurt to be a fast swimmer, either.😁

If you ever change your mind on this matter, we want a full length video of the event.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
The Japanese salmon/fixed line videos I have seen there's not too much running around more of a dogged muscle out between man and fish.

Actually Tenkara is a very pleasant way to fish, everything you need and nothing you don't.

knotjoe

Reaction score
The Japanese salmon/fixed line videos I have seen there's not too much running around more of a dogged muscle out between man and fish.
Sounds a bit more like Keiryu type rods there, I've seen folks wrangle carp and other large species on them pretty effectively in videos. Can be done, but then I do wonder about the videos that don't make it to the web. Being a fan of the Fail Army on YouTube I see some hidden potential here for entertainment.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Hank Patterson style. Unless it's really funny I wouldn't think it would be posted.

I believe they come in both styles, keiryu and tenkara. Any heavy duty carp rod would probably work just as well.

guido

Reaction score

Actually Tenkara is a very pleasant way to fish, everything you need and nothing you don't.
Unless you happen to be fishing for Northern Pike or Tiger Muskie

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
I'm mostly a Bass and Bluegill warm water and inshore saltwater fisherman. No Trout to be had in SE Alabama.

I use both Tenkara and Western fly rods.

I have a couple Tenkara rods and like them quite well. They have limitations on casting distance and the types of bugs that I can effectively cast with them.

They are great for tossing bugs against the bank and brush as I drift a creek or river in my kayak. One of my best trips was using a short line and slingshotting a popper under the low brush.

A bit different, but I used to really enjoy a 10' cane pole some worms or crickets and drifting/casting along a river. Low tech, slow paced relaxing fun.

Speaking of cane poles, my wife asked me once how was a Tenkara rod different from a cane pole. Yikes...

Sitting by the pond or on the river with my little Buddy...

knotjoe

Reaction score
Unless you happen to be fishing for Northern Pike or Tiger Muskie
Depends on what you’re willing to do. Old schoolers who’d pike on cane poles would toss the rod overboard and then follow the rig, pick it up again and continue the battle until the fish was landed. A boat thing, to be sure. Makes sense and very believable in a time before reels were reliable and useful for such purposes on large fish.

Check out how some Canuckians do it on Kings, it’s pretty out there and even involves wetsuits. Note the sheer size of the rod…
This dude is totally exhausted at the end and I can understand why. No idea what the cumulative workload is on the human end with a T rod that size or the fixed line strain against a Chinook, but DAAAANG, that’s gotta be an arm workout like none other. Does prove it’s all about the weakest link and if everything (and everyone) is strong enough, you can go one-on-one fixed line in a tug o’war and land the big one.

None for me, thanx. From this age on, I’m a large arbor reel wussy on big fish ‘till the ticker stops ticking.😆

knotjoe

Reaction score
What a stud! This happens to me often on my little brookie streams. :sneaky:
I bet. In fact, probably even more grueling than what the guy in the video experienced because he not only has a separate net man, but also a support crowd close at hand in case there’s trouble. You’re out there alone in the wild, no cheating with a net man, no trusted fishin’ buddies to fend off angry beavers and the like. I didn’t see no angry beavers in the video…did you?

In Redfordian terms, you’re a true Jeremiah Johnson in a world of Norman Maclean wannabes. Mad props to ya!👏

Beyond that, there’s defiantly something intriguing (to me) about the effective fight angle on these long rods and the impressive design of them. Honryu-zao is what I suspect we’re seeing here on the big fish, it’s a blank design with some remarkably effective stress distribution and on a freakin’ telescopic, nonetheless. Suffice it to say there is an undeniable “wow factor” to such engineering and design.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Well you are right, no beaver problems on my stream but I do run in with a bear every so often. They're pretty shy around here because they are heavily hunted, but you know they're bears, and can be unpredictable at times. I don't really feel like old Jeremiah more like Little Big Man, mostly clueless but happy to be there nonetheless.
In any event it appears that there will be an 'Indian Summer' this coming week in my mountains and I can hardly wait to get out and stick a hook in my head or tree or whatever, I'm sure it will be an epic fishing week, maybe even hook into a 14 incher if I am really fortunate/lucky.
I will be using my small stream bamboo(s) but I also chuck in one fixed line rod on most outings.