Is the San Juan quality waters closed?

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I saw someone post this, but haven’t seen it anywhere else.
I got an email from a guide in NM saying he had to reschedule all trips there because they were closing down NM State Parks. But, when I looked it up what I saw said they were closed to camping but still open for day use...so I’m not sure what the story is.

myt1

Reaction score
What would be the reason for closing parks?

It seems that would be one of the few places you could go to get away from the virus, and people.

kevind62

Reaction score
For Navajo State Park its probably just the campgrounds. The rangers are probably not working. They check the campgrounds daily and one of them collects the money from the self pay box and checks all campsite tickets to make sure the camper on the site has paid for the day. The day use sites usually require a $5 all day parking fee, they may forgo this during this time. Check with the park websites to see.

The first few miles of the river below the dam is catch and release only with other special regulations too. They may close this section of river and make it off limits due to the rangers not being there to keep a check on it. Which would be a good thing. I'm sure poachers are licking their chops waiting to sneak in and have a free-for-all on the trophy fish.

What would be the reason for closing parks?

It seems that would be one of the few places you could go to get away from the virus, and people.

lacanadio

Reaction score
From the NM State Parks website...

Q: Why are New Mexico State Parks closed?
A: Due to the Governor’s directive to minimize face-to-face contact in response to reducing the
spread of COVID-19, State Parks are closed until April 9, 2020.

Q: How long will this closure last?
A: This closure is in effect until April 9, 2020. Please continue to monitor current information about potential future suspensions at NMParks.com.

...that includes day use, so the Quality Waters access, at least from the south side of the river, is off limits. They initially closed just the campgrounds, but extended the closure to all of the park on Monday.

Last edited:

myt1

Reaction score
I did not know the north side of the river below the dam was BLM land.

Is the small campground at the Simon Canyon parking lot BLM land as well?

Is there typically a fee to camp there?

Reaction score
From what I understand, New Mexico govt. has shut down all State Parks including the Day Use areas. All of the parking in the quality water section are located in these areas and they have closed the gates. The river is open, you just can't get to it. The fishing has been good and I can't think of more healthy place to be than out in the middle of that river, but they didn't ask for my opinion.
Terry

kevind62

Reaction score
Checked with Abe's. Navajo State Park and all day use areas are closed. The river is closed to fishing within the boundaries of the park, this includes the areas outside of the Quality Waters that are within the park boundary and all hiking trails. There is limited access to the river downstream of this. All the fly shops and lodges are closed. NM hasn't announced any further closing of the river but could do so. The original re-open date on the NM parks site is April 9 but this could change. You should check with NM state parks to see if this is still the target date or if it has been extended.