Is there a name for this fly?

sixwtslinger

Reaction score
Thisis just an ultra simple "nymph" like fly made of 3 barbs of peackock hurl wound on a hook shank. Nothing else. It is popular (and effective) for still water fishing here in the NE but nobody I've found knows what it's called. Anybody familure with it?
(Sorry for the lousy picture but I thik it gives you the idea.)

sixwtslinger

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm aware of that one (and fish them from time to time. ) This one is simpler though. No hackle, no wing, no rib. Just a hook herl and thread.

flytie09

Reaction score
I'd call it a peacock nymph.

There are several variations on the web. This on adds a bead chain eyes, some ribbing, and some angel hair to the body to the peacock herl tail and abdomen. Peacock Nymph

peacock_nymph.jpg

Would make a deadly dragonfly nymph.........

If you want to keep it stripped down and easy......I would highly suggest at a bare minimum to consider counter ribbing the peacock herl body with fine wire as peacock herls are rather delicate and keeps it from unraveling.

Very similar to the original Frank Sawyer tried and true pheasant tail nymph.

TYING THE PTN TO THE ORIGINAL PATTERN - TomSutcliffe - The Spirit of Fly Fishing

sixwtslinger

Reaction score
If you mean peacock herl with a rib then I don't think it would have a name.
Not even a rib. Just the 3 strands of precock herl wound onto the hook. Maybe there isn't enough fly there to warrent a name :)
The Trout sure like it though!

sixwtslinger

Reaction score
I'd call it a peacock nymph.

There are several variations on the web. This on adds a bead chain eyes, some ribbing, and some angel hair to the body to the peacock herl tail and abdomen. Peacock Nymph

View attachment 16924

Would make a deadly dragonfly nymph.........

If you want to keep it stripped down and easy......I would highly suggest at a bare minimum to consider counter ribbing the peacock herl body with fine wire as peacock herls are rather delicate and keeps it from unraveling.

Very similar to the original Frank Sawyer tried and true pheasant tail nymph.

TYING THE PTN TO THE ORIGINAL PATTERN - TomSutcliffe - The Spirit of Fly Fishing
I'm liking the look of that one! It's actually very close to what I have above. Actually VERY close to a simple Dampsel Fly pattern I found on UTB that uses ostrich herl . I've been tying these by substituting peacock for the entire tail , body and wing casing. The Trout have shown a fondness for those as well.

YouTube

williamhj

Reaction score
Nice, simple fly. Glad you found the name.

I might tie some up and give them a try. Either put some glue on the hook shank or add a simple rib to make the peacock more durable.

original cormorant

Reaction score
Looks like a lazy tiers version of a diawl bach to me. In other words one tied by me - tho I do always rib them.

J

joe_strummer

ftr the Zug Bug is tied with peacock sword, rather than hurl.

trev

Reaction score
yes and to me sword and hurl look very different.
Tie that on a #16-20 dry fly hook and fish it when the midges cluster on the ponds. Maybe weight it and grease the leader. It doesn't hurt to palmer a grey or dun hackle on it either. I wonder where LaRue was from and how old he is.