Is there a way to block all these stupid ads?

jdwy

Reaction score
I’ve not been on here in a while so I guess I missed that. I don’t mind a few ads, but this is ridiculous.... pop ups, phony posts, eBay everywhere. A bit too much unless he is wanting to buy Boeing or something.
First, I had an ad blocker some years ago, can't remember now, but it caused a problem with my computer so I deleted it. Secondly, I'm on about 15+ forums and I am not required to need a blocker to get back 1/4 page blocking almost the center of threads so I can read posts. If that's the way this forum prefers to operate, fortunately there's dozens and dozens of other informative fly fishing forums out there. Adds on the far right OFF the main screen is no big deal but this is ridiculous, Adios.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
First, I had an ad blocker some years ago, can't remember now, but it caused a problem with my computer so I deleted it. Secondly, I'm on about 15+ forums and I am not required to need a blocker to get back 1/4 page blocking almost the center of threads so I can read posts. If that's the way this forum prefers to operate, fortunately there's dozens and dozens of other informative fly fishing forums out there. Adds on the far right OFF the main screen is no big deal but this is ridiculous, Adios.
Our content editor is working closely with both the software maker and the advertisers to provide a remedy to various issues. Making a post such as this does nothing to serve the development of this forum. If you have a suggestion for the forum owners please submit your ideas to the editor here. If the purpose of posting is to point out that there are websites you enjoy more and to say "Adios" you could have left more gracefully I think.

Just saying

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything intolerable in comparison to the enjoyment, resources, and connections we all get from this community. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the karate style drum circle dancing header I open up to everyday....or any header that consumes a third of my screen with an ad, but it's not a terminal situation for any of us. I think we all understand the need for the site to embrace profit centers to pay for our no cost experience here, and of course the vast majority understand they cannot be provided with something for nothing. Could a membership fee replace the advertising revenue? I do not know. But I would offer this to ownership and admin., if members are willing to pay annually for an ad blocking programs to not see ads, it would stand to reason that they would conversely pay a membership fee to not see ads. I do not know if this would be equitable in relation to advertising revenue but maybe something for consideration. I'd ante up to skip seeing the flower children dancing in circles....it presents as some burning man, missionary, spread love, mind altering suggestion, peaceful protest, support thing that I don't really understand the relevance of on a sporting forum. Really strange to me as a category of contributing advertiser here. I think Ard has communicated well....it's feedback, adjustments, and patience until they can get the dust settled on the changeover.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Ard and cooutlaw, I can handle/ignore header or side adds but are neither of you constantly getting the pop-up avantis.video adds over the actual posts? If it turns out these are unique to me I'll have to figure out where the issue is emanating from, I only get them here on our Forum….no, they will not make me leave.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Ard and cooutlaw, I can handle/ignore header or side adds but are neither of you constantly getting the pop-up avantis.video adds over the actual posts? If it turns out these are unique to me I'll have to figure out where the issue is emanating from, I only get them here on our Forum….no, they will not make me leave.
I had those for a couple of days then they went away and have not returned.
Edit: As I was typing the above sure enough a pop up appears right over my post. Not cool.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I understand your frustrations but you need to either post to the Issue Log thread Kristy is working or contact her privately and see what you can get cleared up. She is in direct contact with the software producer and it is the software that should be controlling the quantity or placement of ads I believe.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Yes, Ard, I have definitely posted, I hope helpfully, in the software thread.

tomsakai

Reaction score
I’m usually viewing on my iPad. Until very recently I would agree with the complaints. In the last couple of weeks though there has been a huge improvement. 1 ad that takes up most of the page but can be scrolled through quickly. One small ad at the bottom of the page. Using Google Chrome. No ad blocker since Apple does not allow them.

markmark444

Reaction score
I am getting the pop up video video adds over the text too and it is not a problem I have other places. I have had an ad blocker before and don't oppose some advertising but these particular ones are crazy. I hate to get an ad blocker again for just one site. Is there a way to just block ads here? Thanks.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I understand your frustrations but you need to either post to the Issue Log thread Kristy is working or contact her privately and see what you can get cleared up. She is in direct contact with the software producer and it is the software that should be controlling the quantity or placement of ads I believe.
I believe I was the first one to mention the pop ups to Kirsty. I'm cool with the ads but content of site should take precedent over ad placement and volume. Any good software producer knows that and should work that out during beta testing.
I won't resort to an ad blocker as I understand the need. Site users are what drive the site and income produced by the site.
But you know that. Just hate to see people pushed away due to frustration. Have seen it happen to many sites and the community and knowledge here is too valuable to lose due to a lack of a quick response. These minor issues are easy to fix with a prompt response.

Last edited:

labradorguy

Reaction score
It’s interesting that not everyone sees same stuff popping up.

The ad blocker that was recommended is working great for me. ZERO ads. I too understand the need for advertising, but it needs to be within reason and this is WAY over the top. If they want to rein it in a little, then I’m happy to get rid of the ad blocker. Until then it’s staying on.... Thanks again for the recommendations guys.

Last edited:

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Banned
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just to say we are looking at this, and I've asked for the video ad unit to be removed. Please understand that we rely on these ads to keep the site running, it's not cheap to run and we need to cover the costs. We really don't want to annoy people with ads but also don't want to charge a fee to use the site. I know some people are willing to pay a fee but many others are not, unfortunately. Coronavirus has really hit the ad industry so our income is way down, we allowed a couple of extra ads to try and offset this but I can see we seem to have gone too far.
Please bear with us, we are looking at this.
All the best,
Kirsty

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Banned
Reaction score
Hi all,
The ad company have come back to me to say that they will remove the pop up ads on mobiles.

Also, we don't have the ads in the style/ format of posts on this site so the references to those must be talking about the old software - if you're still seeing them then it's an error, please screenshot and send to me. Thanks!

djfan

Reaction score
I got three videos popping up in the course of reading this thread. I didn't know until the end that you wanted them screen shotted, so I didn't. It's worse on my phone than on my laptop.

labradorguy

Reaction score
Hi all,
The ad company have come back to me to say that they will remove the pop up ads on mobiles.

Also, we don't have the ads in the style/ format of posts on this site so the references to those must be talking about the old software - if you're still seeing them then it's an error, please screenshot and send to me. Thanks!
Thank you for addressing this issue and for working with us to find a happy medium.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Woah... Just logged-on via Windows 10 / Google Chrome. What a mess. No wonder you guys are complaining!

1591019547414.png

Be Brave... Get a new browser!

ts47

Reaction score
I just tried the forum without an adblocker. It's better. I'll try leaving it off for a while. I'm still willing to pay a membership fee for an ad free experience if you decide to go that route.