Is this a new fly?

Bigfly

Reaction score
I have been using a pattern exactly like that since the mid 80s.
It was tied to emulate arthropda in Kirmen lake, for Big Brookies.
The bead mid-rib makes for motion like the small white side swimmers.
The guy I learned it from called it his antron fly. From the carpet he used to tie it with.
He had been tying it for twenty years when I learned it.
Very few new things out there.
Like the orange scud.
Didn't know what caused the color, but knew to tie those 30 years ago.

Jim

silver creek

Reaction score

Bigfly

Reaction score
I should have said orange spot scud. Didn't know about parasite. But saw the pattern...
Never have tied an all orange...
now that I think about it.
My effective pattern is lrg gray with a hint of green. With a wred wire wrap.....

Many years ago, I told my professor that a photograph subject had "been done".
He said..."Not by you"....
That's all that's really new.

Jim

Last edited:

pnc

Reaction score
Hey, call it what you want. No, not being wise. Flies are constantly tied with new or different material and renamed. Sometimes the name catches on. Sometimes it doesn't. Materials positioning on hook change the way flies will move. I'd call that tweaking to suit water fished. But, heck call it what you want. Maybe credit waters fish with it. Something like, Muddy creek so and so.
Just realize that someone will always call it otherwise. I tie flies with synthetic materials now, instead of natural when I can. Flies act differently, and dry faster on back cast. But a Deceiver is a Deceiver. And yet names are being added all time. A glades deceiver & so on. Take a look at old tarpon streamer. Think everybody fishing for them. Some famous names have flies named after them. The same exact flies in different colors than someone else's. Tied the same way with different color feathers and threads.
So it's accepted in some circles not in others. I think or it seems saltwater fishermen are more amenable to names than freshwater fishers. Or maybe its trout guys.
Point ... Can't make everyone happy !