Isolation in Iowa

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Midweek I had to get away from the craziness and took a quick 2 day isolated trip to Iowa. I dont know if its possible to"hotspot" an entire region but what a blast. I loved the scenery and the size of the creeks and rivers were right up my alley. Driving around the hills and valleys spotted with beautifully kept farms and houses was a needed relief from the world. I had 2 awesome days fishing, day 1 i caught as many fish as i wanted and day 2 i didn't even see a fish:eek: but both days were equally enjoyable.

I guess this trip was sponsored by Orvis and Hairwing530;). Thanks Jerry, your flies were spot on and durable as always

Fishing in the cow pastures

Some of the residents

I hope the conditions in the world allow a late spring return to the area for a little dry fly action but I guess that remains to be seen.

Best Wishes everyone, I hope you all are hanging in there.

Kev

Last edited:

dennyk

Reaction score
Nice trip Kev and thanks for the pictures, not quite how I pictured Iowa. Great to get away for some therapy time! Glad you had some fun!

Denny

k_e_v

Reaction score
Nice trip Kev and thanks for the pictures, not quite how I pictured Iowa. Great to get away for some therapy time! Glad you had some fun!

Denny

Denny, having grown up 4 hours from there and making fun of Iowa my whole life I didn't picture Iowa that way either.;) Thanks to Ia_trouter for getting me to try it out.

A relatively cheap and easy place to explore with decent public access.

proheli

Reaction score
Brilliant idea k_e_v, and thanks for sharing the photos! In that second photo, that good curve in the river father away, that's got me ready to drive there right now, and I'm in Tampa. Fishing small creeks with my grandpa in Wyoming when I was about 6 taught me a little about undercut banks, and they are still the feature in rivers that I get the most excited about. Whenever I would protest that there were no fish on my side of the bank, he'd come over and stomp on the edge of the bank, and sure enough 2-3 trout would race out from right were we are standing. He'd look at me like, see, they Are there. One time I said something like, "but they are only here when you are." He walked away laughing.

Are you by chance a KTM guy, or is that a different k_e_v?

Last edited:

k_e_v

Reaction score
Brilliant idea k_e_v, and thanks for sharing the photos! In that second photo, that good curve in the river father away, that's got me ready to drive there right now, and I'm in Tampa. Fishing small creeks with my grandpa in Wyoming when I was about 6 taught me a little about undercut banks, and they are still the feature in rivers that I get the most excited about. Whenever I would protest that there were no fish on my side of the bank, he'd come over and stop on the edge of the bank, and sure enough 2-3 trout would race out from right were we are standing. He'd look at me like, see, they Are there. One time I said something like, "but they are only here when you are." He walked away laughing.

Are you by chance a KTM guy, or is that a different k_e_v?
Proheli, I will assure you that there are fish there ;)
. I couldn't believe how many fish would start to move in that stream if I made even the slightest noise. Definitely a hard stream to fish dries in but ideal for swinging streamers downstream out of range of my thundering footsteps

And I am not the KTM guy

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Kev

Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos!

Its forecast to snow here the next couple of days, I'm itching to get out and wet a line.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
A nice respite from the current calamity which surrounds us all. Thanks for sharing the trip with us. Much appreciated!

jigsup

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Midweek I had to get away from the craziness and took a quick 2 day isolated trip to Iowa. I dont know if its possible to"hotspot" an entire region but what a blast. I loved the scenery and the size of the creeks and rivers were right up my alley. Driving around the hills and valleys spotted with beautifully kept farms and houses was a needed relief from the world. I had 2 awesome days fishing, day 1 i caught as many fish as i wanted and day 2 i didn't even see a fish:eek: but both days were equally enjoyable.

I guess this trip was sponsored by Orvis and Hairwing530;). Thanks Jerry, your flies were spot on and durable as always

Fishing in the cow pastures

Some of the residents

I hope the conditions in the world allow a late spring return to the area for a little dry fly action but I guess that remains to be seen.

Best Wishes everyone, I hope you all are hanging in there.

Kev
Inappropriate comments have been deleted!

Last edited by a moderator:

jigsup

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a friend in Bartonville that wants to go to his cabin/other house in Highlandville and he's scared to hit the highway due to the order as he says it states NOT to go any where other than for essentials which does not include leaving his residence to drive 6 hrs to go fishing . I guess if you're monied up a fine for doing so is no big deal . What this trip of yours does not do is set a good example for the younger crowd viewing that is already having a hard time staying home .

dpnoll48

Reaction score
Great pictures. I live in SE Mn and discovered NE Iowa fishing last year after our season closed in Mid October. We have a stay in place order in Mn but the Governor is pushing hiking, biking and outdoor activities as long as "Social Distancing" is practised. I'm lucky in that I live within an hour of over 20 places to chase trout.

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
Great report KEV, In Minnesota they clarified what was considered safe social distance in regards to outdoor activities.

It is legal to go out side and hike and fish, If you can fill your tank and make it to your fishing spot and back without stopping anywhere, if you are paying at the pump that is fine.

Its amazing how many people think you cant even go outside and walk around or fish and its illegal, it is not true at all. The fishing opener is still on.

These fish shamer`s should just shut up. its good, essential and legal.

I`m still mudding and painting getting that honey do list done, I`ll be out hopefully before too long.

jigsup

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great report KEV, In Minnesota they clarified what was considered safe social distance in regards to outdoor activities.

It is legal to go out side and hike and fish, If you can fill your tank and make it to your fishing spot and back without stopping anywhere, if you are paying at the pump that is fine.

Its amazing how many people think you cant even go outside and walk around or fish and its illegal, it is not true at all. The fishing opener is still on.

These fish shamer`s should just shut up. its good, essential and legal.

I`m still mudding and painting getting that honey do list done, I`ll be out hopefully before too long.
In appropriate post! We will not tolerate that kind of participation on this forum.....you have been warned.

Reaction score
I think you need to go troll someplace else .
Yesterday my wife and I drove to the end of a prairie road, sat on the tailgate of our pickup & watched thousands of swans, geese and ducks land in a slough to rest on their migration north. Hope that was OK?

jigsup

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife and I drove to the end of a prairie road, sat on the tailgate of our pickup & watched thousands of swans, geese and ducks land in a slough to rest on their migration north. Hope that was OK?
There is no need to attack other members on this forum, if you don't have constructive comments keep your comments to yourself

kevind62

Reaction score
Actually, all "Stay At Home" self-quarantine policies request you stay at home unless you are going to an essential place or somewhere you will create minimal to no exposure to the general public or facility. Most states are encouraging outdoor activities as long as you keep a safe distance from other people in order to prevent people becoming stir crazy. The exception to this is beaches. People can't seem to stay away from one another as they crowd for position. Public access (land vehicle) beaches have been closed for a couple of weeks now. Beaches that are accessible by boat only are now closed and patrolled also for this same reason. Perhaps you should check the actual regulation and specifics before making an uninformed stupid reply such as this. I would consider that Kev's excursion followed all his local gov't recommendations and is therefor acceptable. I would do it myself if Kev would divulge the location info. :D

Way to go defying your states stay at home policy .

Last edited: