January in Southeast Minnesota

ontheflymn

Reaction score
With Arctic air allegedly headed our way, my window to get out and fish was today. With the "new" winter season rules in effect, all designated streams in the southeast corner are open for catch and release. Fortunately, there was no one else out there today, which is always a plus.

Water levels are pretty typical for this time of year - low and crystal clear. It was easy to see trout scooting in the flat water areas.

I didn't do anything real complicated: tandem nymph rigging all day. I fished an Echo 7'3" 2 weight this morning, mainly because I haven't had a chance to fish it much. It's probably not an ideal rod for tandem rigging with split shot, but I managed.

Great day to be out on the water, but then again, aren't all days on the water great?

:thumbsupu

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Sweet day on the water, congrats! That cold arctic blast has finally moved out of our area here in Wyoming, you are indeed in for some COLD wx, good that you got out while you could.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Nice report. Would've been a great day to be out but alas I was working. I got out on Thursday on a very popular stretch of water south of 90 and I was the only car on the whole stream... Needless to say I was shocked