Jigging

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I took my keiryu rod out in my kayak and instead of casting I just lowered a beadhead wooly bugger over the side and fished it like vertical jigging with a spinning rod (it was a spot on the pond where I think there is a relatively deep hole, and I see the spinning rod guys spend a fair amount of time there). Though I could only get down about 13 feet, it was a very productive day with a number of nice LMB. But of course there is always the one that got away: I hooked something huge that towed me around for a bit, and then broke off the 5X tippet (I was actually surprised that a thin piece of string like that could tolerate moving the mass of a kayak with me in it for any length of time).

stenacron

Reaction score
The NW stillwater anglers sometimes fish deep, vertical jigging technique with fast-sinking (depth charge) line and chironomids... sometimes 25-30 FOW.

As for fishing a wooly bugger on 5X... oh no :-(

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
As for fishing a wooly bugger on 5X... oh no :-(
Yeah, the weakness of tenkara/keiryu. But though the general recommendation seems to be not to exceed 5x, I have read comments by people who have gone heavier without problems. (I do use woolly buggers all the time with my tenkara and keiryu rods, on the 5x tippet.)

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
I will often use heavier than 5x on my Tenkara rod. 5x will get snapped regularly when a Bass or fat Bluegill make a hard strike.

I usually use regular mono in 4, 6 or 8 lb test for tippet with small poppers for Bass or Bluegill. I know some 5x tippet is supposed to be equal in lb test, but in my experience it seems more fragile. Could be a number of factors, stretch vs diameter, less forgiving of bad knots...

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

patrick62

Reaction score
I use heavier tippets all the time. On the carp rods, like a Goture 450 cm (a little under 15 feet) it's not a big deal. But I've used 1X on my Dragontail Zoom 340 with no problems.

I don't think I'd try it with my little Nissin.

If you get something inexpensive, like a Maxcatch 13 footer, then experimenting with heavier tippets is easier on the Fretful and Worrisome lobe.
Matter of fact, first time I used the thing, I tied on two beadhead Woolies (size 10 if I remember right) and got a smallie double on the Housatonic. Got them both in the net too. Later on the net became detached and floated away, but there's no need to bring the Civil War into this.