Journal

jwbowen

Reaction score
I have decided I will journal my trips fly fishing in the Smokey's. Getting where
I can't remember which flies I have used under different conditions. Any suggestions
for the various versions available. I may consider an iPhone app although it seems
to my mind almost wrong to do so!!

Thank you in advance for your help.

jwbowen

Last edited:

dennyk

Reaction score
I used to use a small pocket mini cassette tape recorder for my work years ago. It has a microphone attachment that was voice activated and could be set to block out surrounding noise. That could be clipped to a shirt collar or your fishing vest.

Downside is I'm sure they don't make waterproof models.

The iPhone app would probably rely on the quality of reception in a mountainous area- I could be wrong, but no reception in that area means a dead phone.

A small pocket notebook with a couple pens would probably serve you better then electronics.

Denny

jwbowen

Reaction score
Yes, no reception. I was hoping to find an app that I could enter data and
download later. Similar to what my watch or Garmin does with tracking info.
I am usually in the water fishing between access points for many hours. Stopping
to enter data during breaks would be my plan or just waiting the 3 or 4 days until
im out of the wilderness. I don't need maps or advisory info in the app nor
ways to share my location with friends.

I found "GoCanvas" app that may work. Its a business tracking app that is
supposed to have a "fishing log"..

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

Reaction score
What kind of data are you recording? Just the flies and water you were on?

Take an empty fly box with you. Whatever fly you use for that stretch of water, when done put it in the empty box. Good flies on one side, flies that didn't perform so well put on the other. Take your phone and take a picture of it when done fishing.

I usually take a picture upstream and downstream of where I get in a river if it's my first time there. I believe if I leave my location setting to on position it will record my location on the picture information even if I don't have reception, I believe it uses GPS to record location. I record basic river conditions on my map, speed of river, depth range, width.

The other thing about using photographs is you can use a photo editing app and write info on the picture.

Create a folder for your fishing photos on your phone. You could later print these pics out and put them in a hard copy journal.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Ahhh!! Great Ideas. Thank you very much. I really want to save the data for specific flies
I use and the conditions they where worked well. For example, I have had occasions where a
red dart was spectacular and the next 4 trips nada or times when Im nymping and moving
the heavy fly to the dropper position is more effective. More recently, I have been catching
nice browns and no nice rainbow's. Three weeks earlier I caught the biggest rainbow's ever
and I just couldn't remember which flies or nymphs I was using. I end up cycling through
my collection, twenty to 30 minutes each, to find the right set up.

mikey_boots

Reaction score
I keep a 3 subject 7" x 5" notebook in my truck. I keep it pretty simple and my last one lasted 4 seasons. Looks like this, usually takes up 1 page.

Outing # for the year: 1 Location: River "X", (tressle run to downed tree pool)
Date and time spent fishing: 0630 - 0830
Weather Conditions: Overcast, 55-58
Water Conditions: Normal for this time of year, approx "X" cfs, 52 degrees, clear.

Outfit Used: 4wt Green Mountain
Flies used: #14/16 P&O soft hackle, #16/18 bead head hare's ear (olive), #14 bronze bead head pheasant tail, #18 Griffith's Gnat.

Description of Outing: Arrived and took in the situation for a bit before rigging up. Nothing doing on top, tried SH and a few nymphs. Had a few follows on the SH. Started seeing some rises but couldn't make out what they were zeroed in on. Threw on a GG and hooked into an 8" brookie. Kept up for another hour or so with good action on top. Had one take that was noticeably bigger than the rest but couldn't seal the deal. While changing flies, heard a rustling in the brush a few yards upstream. Took a few minutes but finally made out the gray fox checking me out. Little guy hung around for a bit minding his business, me minding mine. Overall, pretty cool morning on River X.

Catches: 4 brookies - 8"-10" Numerous follows on the SH, missed a good one on the GG, possibly a good bow or brown.

I usually take a look back at my trips from same time frame, spots, etc before heading out to give me an idea of where to start if conditions match up, etc.

jwbowen

Reaction score
I keep a 3 subject 7" x 5" notebook in my truck. I keep it pretty simple and my last one lasted 4 seasons. Looks like this, usually takes up 1 page.

Outing # for the year: 1 Location: River "X", (tressle run to downed tree pool)
Date and time spent fishing: 0630 - 0830
Weather Conditions: Overcast, 55-58
Water Conditions: Normal for this time of year, approx "X" cfs, 52 degrees, clear.

Outfit Used: 4wt Green Mountain
Flies used: #14/16 P&O soft hackle, #16/18 bead head hare's ear (olive), #14 bronze bead head pheasant tail, #18 Griffith's Gnat.

Description of Outing: Arrived and took in the situation for a bit before rigging up. Nothing doing on top, tried SH and a few nymphs. Had a few follows on the SH. Started seeing some rises but couldn't make out what they were zeroed in on. Threw on a GG and hooked into an 8" brookie. Kept up for another hour or so with good action on top. Had one take that was noticeably bigger than the rest but couldn't seal the deal. While changing flies, heard a rustling in the brush a few yards upstream. Took a few minutes but finally made out the gray fox checking me out. Little guy hung around for a bit minding his business, me minding mine. Overall, pretty cool morning on River X.

Catches: 4 brookies - 8"-10" Numerous follows on the SH, missed a good one on the GG, possibly a good bow or brown.

I usually take a look back at my trips from same time frame, spots, etc before heading out to give me an idea of where to start if conditions match up, etc.
This will probably be my simplest option and the one I will settle on. I was thinking I could do it digitally while resting streamside or in camp since I have the phone for the occasional picture.

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.

dennyk

Reaction score
To add another thought to the mix-pick up an inexpensive waterproof digital camera (What I carry) to capture your trip. Along with stream side hand written notes you could create an album on a home computer on return home.

Denny

mikey_boots

Reaction score
This will probably be my simplest option and the one I will settle on. I was thinking I could do it digitally while resting streamside or in camp since I have the phone for the occasional picture.

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.
I started with an excel spreadsheet. There's something about returning to the truck and putting pen to paper that feels more organic. I do keep several different files for pics, though. Good Luck!

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
My cheapo android phone has Voice recorder , and Quick Memo , your I-Phone probably does to . It's easy , I use voice recorder for everything , it save it to files and you dont need internet service . Quick Memo same thing , I can write in it or press the little microphone dealio and presto .

patrick62

Reaction score
I have a nice Moleskine journal that I got for Xmas. I dutifully recorded my experiences until it disappeared into the maelstrom of **** in the car. I'll find it eventually.

In the meantime I write the occasional fishing piece for my newspaper, so if I want to relive past glories I can go through the back issues.

jdwy

Reaction score
I just go to the "Memo Pad" on my phone and have my lake or river spots listed and print in what flies I had success with. No cell reception needed.

rusty 54

Reaction score
I've been keeping a journal for about 12 years. I just have an essay type note book that I write a summary of the trip. It is more likely to to have information on the meals we had or eagles sighted than specific fishing info. It's nice to get it out and read it next to the stove on a cold winter night.