JP's flies step by step...for beginners.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Actually, I've found Bic pens to be very useful all around when it comes to a number of things besides writing. First, you can take the backside of the tube holding the ink and cut off a portion for holding forward the hackle without compromising the rest of the tube's ability to hold ink. Second, I used the exterior body of a Bic pen, chopped down, to make a tippet lanyard. I just ran some 550 or similar cord through the hollow center and tied slip knots on either end, which I then run on to a carabiner. Clip the thing to your pack and voila, DIY tippet lanyard. Maybe I'll take a picture of mine next time I'm using it. Had the pen, carabiner, and line laying around, so saved myself ten bucks!

As far as the dries, I will be tying more of them soon, especially since I got a hold of some proper dry fly hackle in some very small sizes.

Pocono

Reaction score
Bic pen -> Gotcha! Thanks

Before:

After:

....I'm ready for you now, J-P!

Pocono

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
Here are a couple more of J-P's JPB Olive pattern. The ink tube pen trick from Gator really helped with the back-of-the-hackle tie-off. Hold off on that surgeon, J-P, I think I've found a way to get the tumor out of the abdomen. ;)

This one is Cahill yellow, with mediium pardo CDL tail and cree hackle:

This one is a "snowball" (all white) tie; a little heavy on the wing, but it seems to balance out OK on the hackle and tail:

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
...sorry I didn't mention BIC:D
The Baron, if he were still alive, would not have been pleased! :wink:

Glad you like the cahill/cree tie. I plan to tie up a bunch of them in #14 and #16 for this Spring. I think that the #16 may make a good early season searching pattern on bright days.

Pocono

mudbug

Reaction score
I tried a few of these and to be honest I found the direction of the tie awkward with the hackle pointing forward and tying off behind it.

I tried it in what I consider a bit more conventional manner with better success.

I'll post pics of both tonight.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Here are a couple more of J-P's JPB Olive pattern. The ink tube pen trick from Gator really helped with the back-of-the-hackle tie-off. Hold off on that surgeon, J-P, I think I've found a way to get the tumor out of the abdomen. ;)

This one is Cahill yellow, with mediium pardo CDL tail and cree hackle:

This one is a "snowball" (all white) tie; a little heavy on the wing, but it seems to balance out OK on the hackle and tail:

Pocono
JP, I really like this pattern! Love the thread body, I've always thought dubbing small mayflies is counterproductive, and you've come with a process that makes the whole thing so simply and clean...the tie off behind the hackle.

Allan, those are really nice looking flies, what are you using for thread? The bodies are great. On the tall wing, this is something that I will write a longer post about later, but I've been re-reading Gary LaFontaine's seminal work, The Dry Fly. He went further than any modern angler to study trout, flies, and how trout interact and react with flies. He did a lot of underwater observation and one of the many things he learned was that the wing is major trigger for trout. Further, he liked an over-sized wing when trout are refusing an offering during a hatch. He explains how the standard practice of going down a size when trout are refusing what should be a matching fly doesn't always work, he says you should go down a hook size but up a wing size.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this excellent thread. I am going to tie a pile of these...Thanks!

Pocono

Reaction score
Allan, .......what are you using for thread?
John, it's Danville FlyMaster 6/0. I use a thread that's easy to flatten; that way I can get flatter, smoother wraps with it and that shows up in the body. If I'm tying really small stuff, then I use Gordon Griffith's Sheer 14/0, which also flattens well.

Uni threads; either the 6/0 or 8/0, don't flatten at all of me; that's why I switched to Danville. I think it's the binder that Uni uses; too stiff to allow the thread fibers to unwind and flatten.

Pocono

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another easy to tie pattern...the Chub Special.Although it was created for big chub, it enabled me to catch browns,rainbows,brookies, graylings,dace and even carps.:)
Materials.Hook size 14,black thread 6/0,copper bead 2.8mm,copper wire, black hareflash,olive goose biots.

first fix the two goose biots for the tail and the copper wire.

Make the body with the hare flash stop a little before the bead.

Turn the copper wire.

Tie the two goose biots.

Add a little dubbing before the final knot.:)

Like the jpb olive you can make all variations you want...here are two :
Orange

Chartreuse

dean_mt

Reaction score
Very nice, yet again! I like the double bead with colored head - are these colored, metal beads or plastic craft beads?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind comments Dean:)these are plastic beads...the orange ones are a"plus" mainly on rainbows.The problem is they sometimes break when you hit a rock or unhook a fish by holding the hook only:eek:

Pocono

Reaction score
Got my goose biots and dubbing today, so I'll give it a whirl before Christmas.

Also ordered the components for my rod build; it's getting exciting! :)

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
Here's a stab at your Chub Special, J-P.

I think I need more taper forward to the body and probably a tighter dubbing wrap. I put a little 'tude into the upswept wings! ;)

I'll try some more of these, and some variations, over the Christmas holidays.

I've fished this pattern courtesy of J-P, and it's been a good one!

Pocono

webrx

Reaction score
sweet SBS's JP, I also like the bic trick, that should make ship finishing a lot easier both in front and behind. I am going to be off (hopefully) a few days and will give these a try, though very little dry fly action during the winter, unless we get a cloudy and warming day - which happens occasionally. The chub special is a similar fly to one I caught a real nice brown on last winter in the river.

keep em coming.

d

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice one Allan:thumbsup::secret:big chub are waiting for you...they love fat hairy nymphs:D so add a little dubbing,you have to catch a huge one next time you come ;)
AJ,Mladen and Webrx thanks for your comments;)
Ard...got your card today:)
quote:and I just want to say the flies are wonderful, please keep them coming,

First time a big guy with a mustache talks to me so gently:lol2::lol2: