Just a reminder

cmcdhuibh

Reaction score
Orangevale Ca.(Sacramento) Estes Park Co.
The weather is warming ice is melted, but it is not a good time to go to the mountain community’s to fish,hike, camp. It’s april the virus is spreading. Please be RESPECTFUL and stay home.
Thanks Chris <‘,((((<

cpiercem

Reaction score
A grim example of this is here in Idaho. Our initial virus hotspot was Sun Valley Ski area in Blaine county. Blaine County is relatively small with 3 main towns. I think the largest is about 8,000 and the other two around 2,000 people. All in a small area along one highway. There are outlying farm areas too.

People came from all over to enjoy the world class skiing. Yes, they probably should have shut it down sooner, but then who knew. The result is that Blaine county has one of the highest infection per capita rates in the nation.

Now we know more about this bug. I hope we all consider others if we have to travel. Even if we travel to an area with no intention of being within 6 ft of others, we might need gas, groceries, medical care etc. To me people coming in from all over is a great risk to these small communities.

When we can knock this bug down and be able to identify and isolate remaining cases quickly, travel maybe back on. I sure hope so anyway.

spm

Reaction score
A grim example of this is here in Idaho. Our initial virus hotspot was Sun Valley Ski area in Blaine county. Blaine County is relatively small with 3 main towns. I think the largest is about 8,000 and the other two around 2,000 people. All in a small area along one highway. There are outlying farm areas too.

People came from all over to enjoy the world class skiing. Yes, they probably should have shut it down sooner, but then who knew. The result is that Blaine county has one of the highest infection per capita rates in the nation.

Now we know more about this bug. I hope we all consider others if we have to travel. Even if we travel to an area with no intention of being within 6 ft of others, we might need gas, groceries, medical care etc. To me people coming in from all over is a great risk to these small communities.

When we can knock this bug down and be able to identify and isolate remaining cases quickly, travel maybe back on. I sure hope so anyway.
With you, Cindy. As much as I would like to fish, I'm not going anywhere.

Stay safe.
steve

salmo7000

Reaction score
Me too. I live in Idaho. I had been planning a spring trip to the Missouri River with friends for almost a year. We were going to camp, do all our own meals, fish without an outfitter, and were bringing our own drift boats. I had been tying flies for months. We've done this trip before and had been lucky enough to catch the blue wing olives and March browns in late April in years past. Epic. We decided to cancel this year, even though I'm confident we could have done the trip without putting anyone at risk. You just never know what might happen. And as non-residents, we decided to respect Montana residents' peace of mind and stay home. I'm heartbroken, but there will be other years, other opportunities.

That said, it does irritate the heck out of me when I'm driving to town on my once-a-week trip to get groceries, and over half the vehicles I see are from out of state. Mostly Washington and Oregon. Clearly, not everyone is staying home. Just yesterday I observed large groups of folks crowding along the Little Salmon River fishing for steelhead. While most were Idaho residents, there were many from the southern Idaho counties, which is where the thing is still spreading in this state. Very few were practicing social distancing. Please everyone, think about the people who live where you want to go and how your actions might affect them!

Last edited:

jimbaker488

Reaction score

There was a big article in WSJ about the coronavirus outbreak in the Ketchum/Sun Valley area which was very surprising to learn it foun its way there.
I lived in Boise back in the 90s and use to visit up there often on the way to Stanley and I wonder if any of the infection spread up that way ?

cpiercem

Reaction score
There was a big article in WSJ about the coronavirus outbreak in the Ketchum/Sun Valley area which was very surprising to learn it foun its way there.
I lived in Boise back in the 90s and use to visit up there often on the way to Stanley and I wonder if any of the infection spread up that way ?
Most of the virus is in Sun Valley and south to Twin Falls. Since Sun Valley is an expensive resort area most of the day workers live south of there in Twin and the counties between and the virus spread in those areas reflects that. Stanley and Challis are in Custer County just north of the Sun Valley/Blaine County area. They are higher and deeper in the mountains which makes travel less likely. So far the reported cases in Custer County is 2, but who knows how many are untested. They look like they are doing well, but they have no ski area or other major winter attractions. When summer comes there will be an influx of tourists to that area and probably an increase in cases unless the residents are very very careful.