just a strange question

alfaromeo

Reaction score
why ' west fork carson ' river, and 'east fork carson' river? when the west fork is clearly north of the east fork? in nevada yes.. the east fork is east of the west fork......i guess the named the river before they founded california

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is deep man :)

We have one way north of me where there's an East fork and a Middle fork but they both flow the same direction and they both drain into the main stem of the big river for which the forks are named. I fished there last year and admit that like you I was left wondering about that as I drove home after a few days up there. My big thing was the 'Middle Fork', middle of what I thought. I guess if I had a satellite view I'd see that they all flow basically the same direction just that the road only crosses the two forks?

Reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live segment 'Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy' I never figured that one out either :)

flav

Reaction score
Like you said, the east fork is east of the west fork, it makes perfect sense to me when I look at it on the map.

silver creek

Reaction score
why ' west fork carson ' river, and 'east fork carson' river? when the west fork is clearly north of the east fork? in nevada yes.. the east fork is east of the west fork......i guess the named the river before they founded california
The east and west Foks of the Carson River are always East and West of each other on the map. Follow them on Google Maps below.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 10.56.17 AM.png

Last edited:

darkshadow

Reaction score
Well, it's kinda like street names like:

"Shady Tree Lane" in the middle of the desert where there is no trees, nor shade.

Or my favorite, "Creekside Lane" where you know there is no creek there.

"Lakeside St" when the nearest lake is 2 hour away?

"Ocean View Road" in Kansas.

etc, etc.

yikes

Reaction score
Well, it's kinda like street names like:

"Shady Tree Lane" in the middle of the desert where there is no trees, nor shade.

Or my favorite, "Creekside Lane" where you know there is no creek there.

"Lakeside St" when the nearest lake is 2 hour away?

"Ocean View Road" in Kansas.

etc, etc.
Two words: Hawaiian Gardens.

1623366510405.png

LePetomane

Reaction score
Another one is the NBA team, Memphis Grizzlies. Actually the team began in Vancouver and moved to Memphis.

yikes

Reaction score
Hate to be the "well, actually..." guy, but I love local history. The Raymond fault line, extending from Eagle Rock through Arcadia, had springs that fed a number of lakes.

1. Laguna Rd. near Ave. 64, then:
1623421977685.png

and now, it's private waters:
1623422447123.png

1623422646458.png

2. Lake Avenue in Pasadena led southward to a lake at the bottom of the Raymond fault scarp:

1623422240668.png

The lake was drained (I think the ground water is pumped to serve Alhambra) and the former lakebed is now:
1623422377944.png

The spring that fed the lake also powered a mill, hence the nearby street named "El Molino".

3. Here's a 1907 postcard of spring-fed Baldwin Lake at what is now the LA County Arboretum:
1623422958509.png
The native Gabrielenos had historically called this place Aleupkigna, “the place of many waters.” Not quite the same as the Laker's origin in "the land of 10,000 lakes", but hey, i'many waters' was a relative term.