Kauffman's Stone Pattern - Wing Case Treatment

SeanKidd

Reaction score
I really liked the look of the Kauffman Stone Fly pattern, but I did not have any instructions for tying it. Going simply from the picture, I tied in the three sections of turkey feather fibers for the wing case, but upon cutting the "v" knotch in them, they just split into the single fibers instead of holding their shape. I then figured the fibers cut from the turkey feather must need to be treated. I brushed them with a light coating of Hard as Nails, allowed them to dry, and them tied them in and cut them. This seemed to work like a charm.

Is there a better way?

Having never fished this pattern, I am wondering if anyone has found it especially productive?

-Sean

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've also used clear fingernail polish for that, but I think the recomended stuff to use is a product that Wapsi sells called dave's flexament. It's a cement with similar consistency to regular head cement, but dries to a dull finish and remains fairly flexible when dry. Its the standard cement used on most any wing over the back of a fly like you would see on a dave's hopper, letort cricket or hopper, and similar flies.

SeanKidd

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff. I have some of that stuff. I will try it out and see what the difference is. Thanks again.

plugs

Reaction score
I also use the Dave's flexament sometimes. I say sometimes cause that's the only thing I use it for and forget I have it at times (oldtimers) LOL
kaufmanns stone.jpg

flav

Reaction score
I've caught many fish on Kauffman's stones over the years. I always used Dave flexament, but I'm sure there are other products that can get the job done. Nothing wrong with modifying the pattern either, I like to add black rubber legs myself.

jaydub

Reaction score
Dave's Flexament works fine, but there are many other treatments. There is a product called Feather Tuff that comes in a small pump bottle that can be used to treat a section of a feather or a whole feather. Spraying an entire feather with spar varnish or artist's fixative also works (use proper ventilation).

Besides treatment, it matters what part of the feather slip you tie in. Near the base of the slip the individual fibers are wide, and on a fly like a Kaufmann's Stone or Dave's hopper, the fibers will want to roll and split. You want to use the part near the tip of the fibers, where they are narrower.

Just noticed that the question was from 2006. The OP has probably figured it out by now.