Kiss & Tell Fishing and Why I Don't;

hatidua

Reaction score
Good posts Ard and COTater.

I had a long reply written out but decided I'd err on the side of brevity and occupational caution:

If you are a fishing product manufacturer, magazine editor, or other user of images in a commercial or editorial manner and it is obvious the creator of said images isn't blatantly forthcoming as to the location in those images, do not assume when you ask specifically where a given shot was taken that the information given is within 250 miles of where the shot was actually made.

That's all I'm going to say ;)

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of you Colorado guys may remember when there was no where to park upstream from Deckers where the river ducks behind the tip of the hill. I can't tell you how it happened but in 1980 you had to park your car on a tilt along the berm and once you got your waders on you crossed the road and got on a single track that led up and around the tip of the hill. I used to fish from there upstream and could do it many days without there being other people there. Imagine that!

That other small river over near Basalt, you know the one. I was over there many times between 1980 and 1989 and there were occasionally another person I'd see. Imagine that!

I got pretty uptight (in a post) about a month ago on the Spey Pages website over someone directing a complete stranger (probably hundreds of them) as to where to steelhead fish here where I live now. Wanna know how I found out to fish where I do now? I took the time and went there, I fished there and if I thought it was good I kept going back. What I didn't do was come home and tell anyone who would listen that I had caught a steelhead trout and where I did it. You are quickly running out of your semi private spots to enjoy things alone. I recommend visiting them as often as you can but to always be prepared for the day you find the six guys downstream like Jay wrote about in his post above.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I'm a convert.

I no longer divulge locations in my trip reports.

Although, there are usually a few hints, particularly if you are good at recognizing nearby mountain ranges in the background of my photos.
My wife says you could drop me into any mountain range in most of the west blindfolded, remove the mask and I can tell you where we are. Pretty accurate. Especially Colorado.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Some of you Colorado guys may remember when there was no where to park upstream from Deckers where the river ducks behind the tip of the hill. I can't tell you how it happened but in 1980 you had to park your car on a tilt along the berm and once you got your waders on you crossed the road and got on a single track that led up and around the tip of the hill. I used to fish from there upstream and could do it many days without there being other people there. Imagine that!

That other small river over near Basalt, you know the one. I was over there many times between 1980 and 1989 and there were occasionally another person I'd see. Imagine that!

I got pretty uptight (in a post) about a month ago on the Spey Pages website over someone directing a complete stranger (probably hundreds of them) as to where to steelhead fish here where I live now. Wanna know how I found out to fish where I do now? I took the time and went there, I fished there and if I thought it was good I kept going back. What I didn't do was come home and tell anyone who would listen that I had caught a steelhead trout and where I did it. You are quickly running out of your semi private spots to enjoy things alone. I recommend visiting them as often as you can but to always be prepared for the day you find the six guys downstream like Jay wrote about in his post above.
I do remember that little stream around Basalt like that. And the river it joins. The first time my buddy Chris and I floated that bigger river in 83 the only people we saw from Basalt to Glenwood Springs were in their cars or backyard.
But things have changed. Hold your cards tight. I have mentioned a couple of places but typically only with that small tailwater above town that everyone knows ( the road follows it all the way up) or Bikini Row down in town. I have mentioned a little high altitude meadow creek I really enjoy but the style of fishing puts most off. And the fish are too small😊
Show up at my door with a bottle of Buffalo Trace #5 and I may be inclined to show you what I hold tight.

timoteo

Reaction score
I've said it here before, and I'll say it again here now: the internet and social media have ruined fly fishing and other hobbies of mine by allowing people to easy access of where to go.

COTater

Reaction score
I've said it here before, and I'll say it again here now: the internet and social media have ruined fly fishing and other hobbies of mine by allowing people to easy access of where to go.
And that's the rub right!!! Same for my archery hunting spots. Its too bad because nothing can be kept on the down low anymore.

el jefe

Reaction score
To a point, I agree with you. But I think things may settle back down. One thing about people who like things easy is that they aren't real committed to it. And I still find that even at the most popular spots a 10-minute walk rids you of those people.

MarsB

Reaction score
This is another reason I've been dismayed to see the increase in people driving around with rod vaults. It used to be that vehicles parked in local river canyons could be hikers, climbers, mountain bikers, birders, paddlers, etc. Now we have rooftop homing beacons advertising exactly where the spots are.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think internet forums are great for communicating with like minded people and we here do a lot of that. Sharing techniques, fly tying, tackle preferences and photography have been simply wonderful for the 14 years since I discovered this web Lodge. I have sent many private messages to people from states where I have lived and fished, places in Pennsylvania, New Your, Colorado, Georgia and Virginia for a few. I spent a considerable amount of time in Maine also although I didn't live there but spent a week or two every year for 13 years straight. Through the messages I told of where I used to go and what I found there. Eventually it became way too much to type so now I prefer phone calls to try helping some folks find some places that still may not be well known.

Forums are cool because you can get a feel for the various posters, you read what they post and you figure out whether to reach out to them with some advice. I think I mentioned recently starting a dust up on Spey Pages because some bone head was directing the world to come steelhead fishing where I go! Think about this please, last year the department of fish and game counted a total of 540 steelhead entering this river! They use a weir with motion sensing inferred cameras and they don't miss any fish. 540. Let that sink in a little. That's in Alaska and that's the population for an entire river! 540.

Then on top of that you have some social media type, wannabe guide, idiot, I don't know who he is but claimed to be "from Alaska" posting on a fishing forum telling people where to park their cars! I fish another river that gets even fewer fish. Know how I found both places, gas money and shoe leather, that's how I found them.

I would rather take my expensive Spey rod down by the road and cast my fancy flies into a large puddle after a hard rain than share a spot with that person who posted on that website.

nawagner

Reaction score
This is another reason I've been dismayed to see the increase in people driving around with rod vaults. It used to be that vehicles parked in local river canyons could be hikers, climbers, mountain bikers, birders, paddlers, etc. Now we have rooftop homing beacons advertising exactly where the spots are.
I wouldn't assume every rod vault is there for fishing. I've seen a lot of people park with rod vaults, and get out for a hike.

And I finally succumbed to the stupid thing. My wife got really sick if the PVC pipe taking up her spot in the vehicle!

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Alot of my reluctance to share spots stems from my rock climbing.
Climbers are always wanting the "beta". To the finest detail. " How do you do that move, this move?" I won't give beta. Nor will I ask for it. To me it diminishes the experience of discovery.
To share spots I find special in fishing would diminish my experience. Selfish? Maybe. But a day on the water with just me and my dog is sacred time. If it requires walking a little further and keeping my mouth shut so be it. Life is too short to not pursue what you hold sacred.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I read a post on this site today that gave explicit directions to a spot then assured the curious they would not see another person there. It doesn't work that way. At the time there were almost 400 people on the site.

Wupjak

Excellent Driver
Reaction score
Just came by to say hey, me too, to all of the above. If there's an opposite to the LOOK AT ME I'M SPECIAL CHECK OUT MY BRAND crowd, that'd be me. Like Ard said, forums are a great place to share ideas and stories that are specific enough to be relatable and vague enough to maintain the anonymity of the water you are talking about. Like most things, though, the agenda of the people reading through your fishing report necessitates caution in sharing specifics with anyone who cares to search.

My dad told me when I was just a pup and driving his car on a date with a pretty young thing to 'blend in' (to avoid getting speeding tickets/otherwise get myself in trouble).

It was good advice. I lived in the big city for over a decade and applied that advice to how I dressed, acted, and the vehicle I drove. Served me well, I never ran into any trouble in the years I lived there. I suppose I apply that philosophy to just about everything: I don't have a rod vault, probably won't ever have one. Likewise, I'll never plaster my [REDACTED LOL] with fishing-related or outdoorsy company stickers, nor do I make a show of gearing up in the parking lot. People ask on a trail how I did, I'll either lie or minimize. "Bunch of 4 inch brookies!" with a big friendly grin is my favorite response.

Tater, sorry you ran into those choads. I admire your willingness to interact with them, and the way you chose to conduct yourself. Good on ya. I'd have kept on going and spared myself the anxiety of dealing with that S show. :D