Knot Tying Practice

albertw27

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the group and just getting back into the sport - any recommendations on what the best knots to learn are and if there are good methods to practice (other than the repetition of doing it each time you are prepping the rods?

Thanks,
Albert

trev

Reaction score
You can use small 1/8"-3/16" paracord cut into ~3' lengths and tie knots while watching TV.
Site that demonstrates most knots- https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/all_fishing_knots
I use Albright knot, blood knot, double davy knot, bobber stopper knot, Harvey Dry Fly Knot, Homer Rhode knot, nail knot, uni knot, surgeon knot, surgeon loop knot, double fisherman’s knot and others.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
I bent a crude mock-up of a typical hook (with a larger eye and without a the sharp point) that I keep next to my easy chair so I can practice knots while I watch some TV. I use pieces of an old, scrap fly-line in lieu of mono / flouro tippet material. It’s thicker and easier to see.

To be honest, the only knots I seem to need are the Double-Davy, Perfection Loop and Blood Knot. These three cover most / all situations for me.

Good luck & have fun with it!

D5A4A67E-D469-4559-944B-014319CC7D35.jpeg

albertw27

Reaction score
Thank for the recommendation - I'll have to get working on a crude mock-up of a hook (thinking some wire hanger might do but may need something a bit more pliable.

I bent a crude mock-up of a typical hook (with a larger eye and without a the sharp point) that I keep next to my easy chair so I can practice knots while I watch some TV. I use pieces of an old, scrap fly-line in lieu of mono / flouro tippet material. It’s thicker and easier to see.

To be honest, the only knots I seem to need are the Double-Davy, Perfection Loop and Blood Knot. These three cover most / all situations for me.

Good luck & have fun with it!

View attachment 32217

albertw27

Reaction score
Thanks Trev for the suggestion as well as the site where I can find all the nots - will make note! May be interesting to see if my 3 year old can start learning too.

You can use small 1/8"-3/16" paracord cut into ~3' lengths and tie knots while watching TV.
Site that demonstrates most knots- https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/all_fishing_knots
I use Albright knot, blood knot, double davy knot, bobber stopper knot, Harvey Dry Fly Knot, Homer Rhode knot, nail knot, uni knot, surgeon knot, surgeon loop knot, double fisherman’s knot and others.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
I use a mill end of leader (or any old spool) and practice knots and loop knots. Then I use two dowels to pull on each loop to see where my knots break. So a length of leader with a perfection loop and a non slip loop at either end. I tie some blood knots, double unis, and surgeons knots in the middle.

Practice. Evaluate. Improve.

serengeti

Reaction score
Never heard of the Double-Davy. Just Googled it, interesting. It was suggested it is to be used on smaller hooks. Will it work on Atlantic salmon and steelhead size flies, like 8's, 6's and 4's?

Thanks, Leo.

albertw27

Reaction score
Appreciate the suggestions on the approach and knot recommendations. Also love the mantra "Practice.Evaluate/Improve."

I use a mill end of leader (or any old spool) and practice knots and loop knots. Then I use two dowels to pull on each loop to see where my knots break. So a length of leader with a perfection loop and a non slip loop at either end. I tie some blood knots, double unis, and surgeons knots in the middle.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Never heard of the Double-Davy. Just Googled it, interesting. It was suggested it is to be used on smaller hooks. Will it work on Atlantic salmon and steelhead size flies, like 8's, 6's and 4's?

Thanks, Leo.
It has been recommended to me for steelhead (nymphs and eggs) as it ties a very small knot and wastes a very short tag. Good alternative when not using a loop. With practice easier and faster to tie than a clinch.

iv_wjb

Reaction score

Thanks, Leo.
I've no experience with Atlantic Salmon but, give it a try! It's a good, strong knot that only get's tighter when under stress.

trev

Reaction score
I think it's easier to learn the basics of a knot with paracord or bootlace then after the loops, twists, wraps, etc are ingrained move to mono fishing line to practice the tightening and testing.
When using the boot lace a key ring can be the "hook".

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I have a couple lengths of paracord like others. It bends well and you can see the knot. Then I do the same with old tippet. I make hard copies of the knots I use and store them in my gear bag for later reference.

WWKimba

Reaction score
I do agree to use larger cord/fly line when learning and practicing. I like to use poly macrame cord in 4 mm size. After I learn the knots I can deconstruct it and tie some Racklehanens and go fishing!

Kim

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello again Albert,

I see you are getting to know how well the forum responds to new members. I don't know what you'll be fishing for but will share the 2 knots I use. I don't know if you noticed the location info on my posts but up here knot strength matters a lot.

I was introduced to the Orvis Knot by Rich Zigarskie at Slate Run Orvis back in 1994 and I gave it a try. Prior to 94 I was using the typical clinch knot to attach flies and breaking a bunch off. Here is an animated video How to Tie the Orvis Knot

I quickly learned that the knot was stronger than the clinch and began using it on all flies from tiny dry flies for trout to #2 hooks for salmon. Since 2004 I've been here in AK. and the only 2 knots I use are the Orvis Knot to attach hooks and the Double Surgeons Loop for my leader loops.

This link goes to the Orvis Fly Fishing Knot Center where you can see animations of every knot imaginable..

Hope those help you out.

trev

Reaction score
I don't use the clinch knot for any mono smaller than ~15# test, I've had it fail too many times, and so many other knots are better, that I did not even teach it to my children.

osseous

Reaction score
Orvis tippet knot is stronger than the double davy- very small, and easy to tie with consistency. The strongest knot which only passes thru the eye once is the Eugene Bend knot. Check it out- have fun!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

falcon53

Reaction score
Some like the Davey (and Double Davey)as it produces less bulk at the eye on very small patterns where a knot such as improved clinch would be 75% of the fly size. The Orvis is stronger than the Davey and would only be bulky on the very smallest patterns.

thomasw

Reaction score
I like knowing a few different knots for various functions, but if I had to be a ONE KNOT user than I know which I'd pick for everything: attaching leaders to line as well as leader building, backing to line and flies to tippets. It would be the NAIL KNOT. The easy simplicity of a Tie-Fast Nail Knot tool makes it a breeze to build your own leaders with 3 wrap nail knot splices, attach a butt section to fly line with a needle nail knot (or do the same with backing), as well as attach flies to tippet. The nail knot is stronger than a blood knot or most knots used for attaching flies. When one wishes to attach a fly with a double pass through the hook eye, the nail knot can still be your friend -- and that Tie-Fast Tool does make it quick and slick.