Knot Tying Practice

osseous

Reaction score
That so-called "fish-n-fool" knot looks like a standard Uni Knot to me,and the one to use when putting braid backing on a spool...albeit with more turns after going twice around the arbor,and those who fish the salt invariably use loop to loop connections for a few reasons.....never Nail knots.
Because it goes thru the eye twice, it becomes much harder to tighten. A Uni allows the line to move thru the eye during the cinch down. Going thru twice, and then pulling against the the small diameted of a tiny hook is gonna be a real challenge. A Trilene knot does not require that same movement around the eye during tightening.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

irideaduck

Reaction score
I'm down to three knots, 1) blood knot, 2) triple surgeons, and 3) 16-20 for attaching the tippet to the fly.

Back when I actually went to work beyond my house, while listening to a meeting on the phone I'd pick-up the old spool of tippet I left on my desk and I would tie the 16-20 knot to a paper clip over and over again ... this has made significant improvements in my stream side knot tying. Furthermore, because I'm more confident and faster, I'm more willing to swap out fly patterns. Yesterday out fishing I had pulled three fish out of a piece of water, a quick change of flies and I was able to catch two more out of that same piece.

One memorable moment was when I was taking a ESN class and Lance Egan was one of the instructors. While standing in the river he came up to me, recommended I swap my fly, he quickly cut my fly off and tied another fly on all within 5-10 seconds and I was back to fishing.

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
16-20 ends up the same as the Eugene-Bend. Great knot!

osseous

Reaction score
I’ll have to try that one... Never heard of it!

I like irideaduck’s idea of using tippet and a paperclip... Great idea!
You turn the loop, rather than the fly. Leads to the same outcome. I did find a cool vid on tying the 16-20 with needle holders. Very handy during the winter. I use the Orvis tippet knot this way in the winter- much less dexterity needed

Acheron

Reaction score
I'm down to three knots, 1) blood knot, 2) triple surgeons, and 3) 16-20 for attaching the tippet to the fly.
I 100% agree, the less knots to know the better! I have the same list as you except for #3 I use the improved clinch.

Thought I could tie the improved clinch fast until I learned how to do it with the hemostats. I watched a friend tie on a double dropper using the clinch with hemostats. He used the tag end of the clinch to tie in the second fly, both times using the hemostats. It took him less than a minute, honestly more like 20 seconds, but he had been doing it that way for a long time.

osseous

Reaction score
I was an improved clinch guy forever- then I tried the Eugene-Bend. Better knot- try it

albertw27

Reaction score
Just following up here with an update on progress...seem to have the clinch knot and surgeon's loop down. The surgeon's not is one I've found to be a bit more temperamental for me but it's probably because I'm all thumbs at the moment.

A few questions:

1) On the Orvis knot, if I pull on the tag end, should there be any impact on the knot itself? I've noticed that when I've attempted it and pull on the tag, while the knot doesn't become undone, it pulls away from the eye of the hook.

2) Any recommendations on the best tool to learn the nail knot? Same thing if there's any tips on the blood knot...

3) When it comes to attaching backing to the reel, thoughts on the uni?

Thanks!

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just following up here with an update on progress...seem to have the clinch knot and surgeon's loop down. The surgeon's not is one I've found to be a bit more temperamental for me but it's probably because I'm all thumbs at the moment.

A few questions:

1) On the Orvis knot, if I pull on the tag end, should there be any impact on the knot itself? I've noticed that when I've attempted it and pull on the tag, while the knot doesn't become undone, it pulls away from the eye of the hook.

2) Any recommendations on the best tool to learn the nail knot? Same thing if there's any tips on the blood knot...

3) When it comes to attaching backing to the reel, thoughts on the uni?

Thanks!
When I tighten my orvis knot, which I use a lot for both salt and fresh (Typically not with dries) I use my hemos or pliers to grab the bend of hook and pull the main stem of the leader away from the fly.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I like the Trilene knot on the bigger hooks and the San Diego Jam on the little guys. You can tie a SD jam with very little waste, and the knot will slide to the hook.
For joining tippet to leader, I usually go with double surgeon's.
As for practice, I would only practice with the materials you actually fish with. Tying a knot in a nylon cord is much different than mono or fluoro tippet.

1616513229334.png

osseous

Reaction score
^^This! Great during the winter, when cold fingers make 6X the most confounding stuff ever. Likewise, the Orvis Tippet Knot for adding tippet can most easily be tied using a hemostat.