Knot-tying tools

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
As my eyes and fingers have gotten older (my scalp, too, but we won't talk about that) I seem to have developed problems tying knots, especially in very fine leader/tippet material. Who uses tools of any kind to tie knots? I have seen various knot-tying tools online; do they really work? (I have used a crochet needle to tie perfection loops, and that is somewhat helpful.) What is your experience?

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi gp,

I think Rip Tide has this one right, the only tool I have and use is the Tie Fast device. I use it for nail knots, otherwise just wing it with readers if needed.

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Agree ard , ive had this tool forever , its my go to , leaders to line makes it a breeze , the rest of knots i do by hand , out of hanit i guess , tip it to leader the typical circle loop , feed the tails through 5times, pull tight , clean up the tails ....
I dont dwell on knots , the badics work for me and thats as far as i go , lol

Airborne

pnc

Reaction score
Lost nose piece from tying tool this morning at club outing. Getting time for larger tool anyway. Other than glasses. I use a brass tube to finish bimini's , sort of nail knot. I don't use many knots.

.......... pc

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
... best knot tying tool money can buy. and only a buck ;)

Had to laugh when I saw this ....

Uni Student, never wore glasses ... until.

Really nice lady where I was a part timer (in her late 30's/early 40's?) and Oh Such a Body!! She'd wore this up/down thin striped white/black strip thing and my eyes would go nuts.

My first visit to have my eyes checked ... spec's with reading glass bottoms ever since.

Still remember her name and .. well you know what.:D

fae

knotjoe

Reaction score
(I have used a crochet needle to tie perfection loops, and that is somewhat helpful.) What is your experience?
I use loops all the time and do something similar on the water and at the vise when leader making. Two needles or small dowels (pins), on the water they are attached to the ends of a short tether.

Tie an overhand loop leaving the knot portion open, put a pin in the loop part and a pin in the knot part. Spit (or not) for lube and slide the knot to wherever you want it for loop size, remove pin and tighten. The remaining pin in the loop gives you a nice hold for good tightening. Like a T-handle, IOW.

If at the vise and I want a tiny loop, I put a strong hook in the jaws and use it for my loop hold while sliding the knot to location with a bodkin. Any size loop, fast and easy, with great consistency.

Great on poppers or light wire flies, you can completely tighten the loop without kinking the end on a hook eye or pulling unduly hard on the body or materials of a fly. All the tightening tension is between line and pin, not material or hook.

Two "pins" on a tether, attached to some nippers are always with me. Never saw a need for any loop knot outside the simple, single overhand by whatever other names it goes by. I don't even bother with double overhands and have never suffered on account of it, the only real gain is a larger knot. Tightened properly with pins, singles are plenty strong enough.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I'll have to admit, the reading glasses were my most important fly tying tool. I recently bought a pair of polarized sunglasses so now don't wear contacts; I can just take the sunglasses off to tie, no reading glasses needed.

My other, true fly tying "tool" is a piece of tubing from a can of WD-40, cut in half. It is the perfect nail knot tool. Everything else, I can tie without a tool.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
With my eyesight and other problems I have tried a number of the various knot tying aids. I just found one on Amazon that is way better than any of the others I have tried. It’s called the Knot Kneedle and I have just started practicing with it. It is small and makes more sense to me than any of the others that I have tried.

I have no commercial or other interest in this device or company and realize that I can’t provide direct contact info for a product that isn’t part of a business sponsorship. And if this oversteps the bounds in any way, I have no problem if the moderators choose to eliminate it.

Just thought it might help someone else dealing with these problems.

Don

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I use a Ty-Rite . IMHO it's better and easier than a Knot Kneedle . It also has a clip like a pen to secure it to a shirt pocket or Zinger . The other thing I use is a Dennison blood knot dealio . I can tie a blood knot w/o it but takes all day with my eye sight and shaky hands .

jpakstis

Reaction score
I recently got the Knot Kneedle based off of this thread and so far so good. I like that I can "flip" it over the line to get the loops around to make the clinch knot. So far I haven't made any other knots than a clinch, but I've used the Kneedle both at the bench and pond-side and its reduced my tying time and frustration levels!

Sirgrumps

Reaction score
I agree, as I have aged and my vison has gotten poorer, I have been forced to buy and use tools to tie my knots and the Tie Rite seems to be the best

thomasw

Reaction score
I tie every knot without a tool except the needle nail knot; the tie fast one works well for three aspects of the nail knot: 1. quickly attaching leaders and backing as needle nail knots as well as 2. attaching flies to tippet and 3. joining leader sections with back to back nail knots. I use the needle of my CF Pipe Tool more to start my needle knot entries into the fly line than to tie the nail knots, though, at times, I do like the pipe for tying the nail knots, too. I do find the tie fast tool to be a bit faster for me in tying the actual nail knot than the pipe tool.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My hands and a slender tube for Nail Knots. I suppose I might include my new reading glasses as a knot tying tool too.

JoJer

Reaction score
Years ago I cut the tip off a needle for filling balls, filed it square and smooth. Been in a vest pocket and moved to the new vest. Haven't used it in a very long time.

Staflyguy

Reaction score
Sadly I am the world’s worst knot Tyer…..I was at 18 and still at 58…. I use the 3 in one knot Tyler they show on in the riffle .com and also the tie fast nail knot tyer. I can do a few knots by hand but these are 2 I carry on my vest. Relativly inexpensive and work great. Lots of video on YouTube Also.