Knot-tying tools

mizuno

Reaction score
I tie every knot without a tool except the needle nail knot; the tie fast one works well for three aspects of the nail knot: 1. quickly attaching leaders and backing as needle nail knots as well as 2. attaching flies to tippet and 3. joining leader sections with back to back nail knots. I use the needle of my CF Pipe Tool more to start my needle knot entries into the fly line than to tie the nail knots, though, at times, I do like the pipe for tying the nail knots, too. I do find the tie fast tool to be a bit faster for me in tying the actual nail knot than the pipe tool.
I also use back to back nail knots to tie on new sections of tippet. I long ago figured out that could tie two back to back nail knots with a tie fast faster and better than I could tie a blood knot and waste less tippet than if I tied a triple surgeon's knot.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
I learned to tie all my knots with just my fingers, including nail knots. My nail knots never failed, but always looked like crap. Finally ordered a Tie-Fast tool and just couldn't make it work for me until I watched a good video on it (below). After that I couldn't believe how nice my nail knots turned out.

Only problem with the Tie-Fast tool is the sharp points on the back end of it painfully dig into the palm of my left hand when I'm using it, so had to wrap some tape over it.

Last edited:

alfaromeo

Reaction score
i had to tie a nail knot for a freind. on the side of the river, next to the car....looked for anything to use..nothing... then i found a ink pin... took it apart... cut the tip of it.. blew the ink out...stuck in a soda can.. soaked it, then blew it out again.. cliped it to about 40 mm.. and tied a nice nail knot to the fly line.... when i got home, i made 3 little kits and put then in a small zip loc bag,, its in my vest pocket now,, just in case

Southerncaster

Reaction score
i had to tie a nail knot for a freind. on the side of the river, next to the car....looked for anything to use..nothing... then i found a ink pin... took it apart... cut the tip of it.. blew the ink out...stuck in a soda can.. soaked it, then blew it out again.. cliped it to about 40 mm.. and tied a nice nail knot to the fly line.... when i got home, i made 3 little kits and put then in a small zip loc bag,, its in my vest pocket now,, just in case
Good idea with the ink pen. I'm sensing the onset of creative incentive and see myself collecting and modifying objects that have possible potential as knot tying tools.

trev

Reaction score
Fold over a piece of tippet and use it to pull the end back through the coils like you do when using the same (nail) (whip finish) knot as a whip seizing on a rope? Cut off an inch of fly line and use that as a nail?

JoJer

Reaction score
I found myself on the water with a reel with only running line-no tips. I tied a tippet to it with a nail knot: I used a twig.