Koolaid dying

flyfisher117

Reaction score
We are doing good, we've both started going to school. Kade's been lucky and been able to keep hunting/fishing somehow. Ive been so busy that I can barely make a sunday trap shoot each week. :icon_frow

Ive been getting my mid winter itch to start fishing so I had to wander on back over here and see what was going on. Really had an itching to look into some pike/musky on the fly.

random user

Reaction score
Thanks for the post - that 135 color "chart" looks to be a dangerous thing. (I think I need to get a mad Scientist lab coat.)

Anyone ever try this after doing something like bleaching peacock herl with Hydrogen peroxide and sunlight?

(Don't let the kool-aid dry in your hair.... please don't ask.)

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Thanks for the post - that 135 color "chart" looks to be a dangerous thing. (I think I need to get a mad Scientist lab coat.)

Anyone ever try this after doing something like bleaching peacock herl with Hydrogen peroxide and sunlight?

(Don't let the kool-aid dry in your hair.... please don't ask.)
Girls dye their hair with it. Silly kids. :rolleyes: I can't think of a reason it would not work as long as you did not destroy the feathers bleaching them first.

random user

Reaction score
Never hard problem with h202 in the brown bottle in the drug store. Stuff for bleaching hair is a different story.

(... and don't call me Rasppppberry - I was young and it was a long time ago, like '83 or so.)

capt ken

Reaction score
Sorry to revive a very old thread, but I am curious about something that hasn’t been mentioned here. What is the purpose of the microwaveing step? Is it to heat the mixture to speed the color “set” in the material? Would heating the mix on the stove do the same thing?

These seem like weird questions, but I don’t own a microwave

falcon53

Reaction score
Drew Chicone.s book "Feather Brain" has the procedure to dye via Kool Aid. He shows the actual package (flavor) of the package to achieve the desired color. He does use a little bit of white vinegar to set the color. I never tried it but thinking about giving it a try.

JoJer

Reaction score
I did some turkey quills just cause they were handy. They turned out OK. I stripped them with bleach, then played around with some of the colors. Experimentation gave me some nice browns and olives. I picked up an inexpensive desk-top coffee cup heater so's to keep the quills flexible by soaking in warm water while I was working with them.

FlyOn

Reaction score
Great post Dan, I've often wondered how to do this and now I'll know. Thanks for posting the process, Cant wait to try it for myself!