L.A. --> LA (Los Angeles to Louisana)

darkshadow

Reaction score
Well, the girlfriend finally got laid off from her job in the travel industry. Considering that she had the job so long into the Covid crisis was surprising, but they did finally let her go. I am lucky enough to be working remotely since mid-March and my industry is going strong. (Apparently people have realized that email can replace a face to face meetings the majority of the time.)

Her sister just got a brand new home in Mandeville, LA, and because all I need is a cell phone signal to handle my work, we are driving from L.A. to LA, taking the 10 all the way there. So, we will be on the road for a while and was wondering if it's even smart to pack a fly rod, let alone a conventional rod. I don't mind fishing a pond off the 10 as a way to 'stretch our legs' while we drive to her sister's home, which is adjacent to Lake Pontchartrain. Doing some quick research in regards to the immediate area sent me down the rabbit hole, as all Google searches end up doing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

quattro

Reaction score
in mandeville - you are in close proximity to spectacular redfish opportunities. Bring a 8, 9 for the reds and a 10 or 11 if you want to chase jacks in the nearshore.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
If you have access to a kayak or small boat, the marshes in Hopedale and Delacroix are a short drive and have fishing for reds and bass close to the launches. In the fall the speckled trout migrate back into the interior marshes also. Along the north shore of Lake P there are some grassbeds with the ever present redfish and again in the fall trout start to migrate back into the lake.
There is a Louisiana based flyfishing forum laflyfishing.com that you may want to look at also.

darkshadow

Reaction score
If i was visiting the "in laws" in PA, I'd have access to kayaks. But I'll have access to my two feet!

Excited to hear about the redfish opportunities, since that's definitely a fish that has existed on my bucket list for a while. I just wonder if I could target them from shore. I know that a lot of jetties are also fish magnets.

Definitely going to be doing some research since we leave next Monday.