L L Bean Fly rods

hunter1

Reaction score
Hi, Are they any good. I have mostly sage rods the LL series, love them, A T&T rod and some others. I'm interested in getting a new rod. Retired looking to save a little cash, But don't want to get junk.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have only one, a Streamlight 13 foot for 8 weight. It is nearly 9 years old but...………. Just over a week ago I took it out and loaded a 600 grain Super Scandi line on it and was honestly & truly impressed. I've been fishing with Hardy and Sage rods for years and the Bean rod sat in the tube all the while.

I took it out because I was considering sale to a fellow but after the casting changed my mind. I would suspect that their single hand rods will be of the same caliber and can't say a bad word regarding the rods.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I don't believe that Beans would sell a bad product.

I have 2 LLBean labelled rods. Both old
One is a first generation graphite 5wt made by G.Loomis. It's the trout rod that I loan out to friends and family knowing that anyone can make it work.
The other is a 1950s 8wt made by H-I that throws a line like it's shot out of a cannon :surprise:

JDR

Reaction score
I find it interesting that your seasoned rods are the Sage LL series, and now you are considering a rod from LL Bean. There is a certain symmetry in that.

hunter1

Reaction score
I find it interesting that your seasoned rods are the Sage LL series, and now you are considering a rod from LL Bean. There is a certain symmetry in that.
Yeah, It's called being retired. I always bought the best of what ever I wanted when I was working. I even have a few Winston rods. But I have to watch my cash flow now days. Can't warrant spending $800, on a rod any more. Besides I spend my day's at the beach house surf fishing, Saltwater fly fishing. I still like to try new things sometimes. Oh yeah , I'll never get rid of my Sage LL rods , A nice 3 and 4 wt. Besides, I think most of the top of the line rods are way overpriced. Going trout fishing this Monday.Good enough. Tight lines.

mtnjefro

Reaction score
I am newish to FF and the only rod I have bought so far is a Quest 2 5 weight. I would say it works for me. I really need to change out the line that came with it pretty soon but otherwise I have caught fish on it for sure. I have used a few Orvis rods and while I can tell the difference I still like my rod just fine. Eventually, I will get a different rod but it will be a different size and keep using that 5wt.

KaseyMarsters

Reaction score
I have the LL Bean Pocket Water in 4# and it's a ton of fun for dries and nymphs.
Also have a Bean Double L in a 5# and I really like that one for all around troutin' - works well in the wind too.

hunter1

Reaction score
Thank's all. That's what I have been hearing, The bean rods are well liked. For the price there worth giving them a shot. Just have to figure what wt I want.

Reaction score
Dont know if you have pulled the trigger on a rod yet? I have owned/used all of the beans rods except the angler (lowest price) and the apex (top end) I have a 9 ft 5 wt silver ghost that is an amazing stick! I also have a 7 ft 4wt streamlite for tight spaces. I have owned the double L series as well and will be purchasing another in the future. Typical beans quality. I might be biased as I am from Maine but I also own sage so.....?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Do your research. They sold some wonderful products in the day. Some of their current stuff is imported junk as I have learned first hand. Just have to sort through it before you buy. Still love the company but they are fighting the competitive nature that is today's reality.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Do your research. They sold some wonderful products in the day. Some of their current stuff is imported junk as I have learned first hand. Just have to sort through it before you buy. Still love the company but they are fighting the competitive nature that is today's reality.
I too have a terrific LLB #10 from the late 90's. It was built for them by G.Loomis using GLX technology under the direction of their then FF product manager who went on to be, albeit briefly, one of the best rod designers Orvis ever had. Problem is in recent years, for financial reasons, LL Bean has been forced to go the mass produced in Asia route. A couple of years ago a new to bonefishing friend of a more experienced participant on one of our Bahamas trips brought a new Bean 8-wt. outfit with him. It was close to being a useless handicap...maybe borderline acceptable as an 8-wt. for low line speed bass bugging in close but terrible on the flats where performance is required. Of course LL will let you return something you are disappointed by but to save money on a fly rod I'd pursue an alterative route. Maybe ECHO or TFO or Allen or Mystic or Rise...a fly rod company.

Dodge

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but still choose to comment... hunter1, I hope you ended up getting the LL Bean rod... I own many Burkheimer, Thomas and Thomas, Winston and Hardy rods among a few other brands... including Orvis and LL Bean... and I know LL Bean gets a bad rap for having their rods built oversees... but, they also pass that savings on to the consumer... the Double L and Silver Ghost are wonderful fishing rods... I own a couple Double L's and a Silver Ghost and enjoy fishing with them... there's absolutely nothing wrong with them... LL Bean is not a fly fishing company... they are an outdoor outfitter that sells very good fly fishing gear... I have never had a problem with any fly fishing product I've bought from them and they price them very competitively... their waxed cotton fly wallets and reel cases are great quality at an inexpensive price... I was in LL Bean last Saturday when I was up in Maine and they are selling their Double L rods under $200 to make room for the newer ones coming out... I bought an 8 WT 9' Double L last summer at the North Conway outlet for $125 as a backup bass rod and it fished very well... my other 8 WT bass rod is an $895 888 Burkheimer Streamer Rod... so I didn't want to buy another expensive 8 WT bass rod... I guess everyone has their opinion, and I certainly respect that... but, I have a lot of respect for Bean's and how they conduct business... I will always give them some of my business.

hunter1

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your responce. I decided to get into Euro nymphing. I went with a Sage Pulse 10' 3 WT. Nothing against LL bean. It was a whole set with the Sage. 90% of my rods are Sage. I have great luck and service from them.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
there are a few reviews of the new LL Bean glass rod on an other site- Fibreglass Flyrodders. All are very happy with the rod.