L L Bean Fly rods

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Aren't most LL Bean products like this made by some other (usually reputable) manufacturer and then just branded with LL Bean? That was always my understanding. For example, for some time I think Hardy made some of their System series reels. If that is the case, it just depends on tracking down who the manufacturer was for that given rod. I don't own one, but I have a few friends who have them (all dry fly rods) and they are nice rods.

GRASSNGLASS

Reaction score
I believe Beans has numerous companies make rods for them over the years. I tried getting information out of a salesman in their Freeport store about twenty-three years ago. I mentioned the names of several top manufactures of the time and he denied them all until I mentioned Loomis. So I figured maybe. I think I still might have a four piece 3 or 4 weight from that time which was a great little rod. Now I have to see if I can find it.

I've had Phillipson glass rods labeled L L Bean. Also, Timberland Rods by Bill Franke made for Beans on what certainly appeared to be Lamiglas Blanks. Also, appears Wright McGill made a little travel rod for them.

I believe Beans always tried to meet several price points. I remember being in one of their outlet stores twenty+ years ago and noticed some nice graphite and some some very poor feeling graphite. I think the Double LL was top of their line back then.

ShenandoahBrookie

Reaction score
My dad and I got into fly fishing together about ten years ago. It was his idea, but I really caught the bug bad. Anyway, he got a couple LL Bean rods, and they’re all still going strong. We’ve got two made by G. Loomis and one made after they split. My only 9’5wt is an Orion we bought on close out when G. Loomis stopped making them, and rod has been through thick and thin. My dad and I have broken a few tips over the years, and Customer service had a stockpile of spare tips for the discontinued rods. They sent them to us for practically nothing. I don’t know if they still do that, but I am so appreciative. They understood that accidents happen, and they were happy to help us out… even when we slammed the rod in a car door. There’s a whole lot to be said for that kind of customer service.