Lady Florence

flytie09

Reaction score
Lady Florence

A spey fly from Gordon Castle along their River Spey that is listed in both the Farlow Book and the Salmon Flies of James Harper book by Colin Innes.

Named after Lady Florence who was the daughter of Charles Gordon Lenox, 6th Duke of Richmond. Sister to Lady Caroline, who too had a fly named for her that many know and love.

E5E2F567-AB13-4024-A62C-957FB72AE67E.jpg

Hook - Blue Heron #2
Body - Yellow yarn rear and black yarn at front 1/2
Rib - Large gold oval tinsel at rear and medium silver flat tinsel at front
Hackle - Yellow saddle at rear and black ring neck pheasant rump at front
Collar - Guinea
Wing - Natural red GP body feather underwing with 2x pairs of bronze mallard over top
Head - Black thread and Loon UV cure

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll leave the research to you Mike but that looks suspiciously similar to the Jock O' Dee, the fly below from T.E. Pryce-Tannatt's book.

Someone got the idea from someone and maybe both from the Jock Scott, I don't know which came first the chicken or the egg :nerd:

flytie09

Reaction score
Ard.... I’m far from an expert in Salmon Fly history. But I do find it interesting for sure.

There are similarities and shared elements to many Atlantic Salmon flies. But the history of the Jock Scott, Lady Florence and Jock O Dee separates them all by some 65 years.

The Jock Scott is from 1850 tied by..... Jock Scott.

http://www.amff.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/1991-Vol17-No2web.pdf

The Lady Florence fly origination date is not 100% known. Most likely from the 1870-1880s by Geordie Shanks (1828-1915) to make a good guess. First listed in catalogues in the early 1890s. Lady Florence, the actual person, was apparently quite the angler (1851-1895)

The Jock O’ Dee.... a Pryce Tannatt (1881-1965) pattern borrows a few elements from the Jock Scott. But far far far less complicated. First listed in his How to Dress Salmon Flies (1914).

Speys, Dees and Tays: The Jock o'Dee

I can say this..... to be able to tie the Jock Scott is outside my wheelhouse currently. I think there are 27 different materials used. That’s a lot of work for a fishing fly. Imagine wrapping that around a tree branch across river. :flame::yell::ranting3:

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I always figured the O' Dee version was the way to simplify the Jock Scott. Works for me because I have tied the married wing variety and confirm the huge number of materials used. I struggled with proportions on that fly making some which looked crowded while others had way too much hook for the materials....

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's a fly with too much hook, I think that's a size 2

And here is one with what I think are too much material and not enough hook on a #4 hook

Interestingly enough I have a couple of the silver doctor tied in or around 1981 - 82 that are on size 4s that I caught both those big lake run browns ans king salmon with in the Salmon River around 93, first time I had used them in all those years. I still have them and they held up through time. I glued every step when tying them.

flytie09

Reaction score
I like that Silver Doctor. I can say I’ve never seen anyone fishing one up there. You were a one in a million Ard.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Look to the top leaf of the box, middle clip of the left hand row, the one with the painted head.

That fly is at least 37 years old and it got 2 of the brows and 2 kings. I've never used them here but suspect they would work fine.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe take a look to see if you can find the recipe for the Rail Bird, look in Bates's books if you have them. It's probably online too but I think Bates printed the original, I'd like to see what you would do on that pattern. I've actually caught some fish on them :)

flytie09

Reaction score
Maybe take a look to see if you can find the recipe for the Rail Bird, look in Bates's books if you have them. It's probably online too but I think Bates printed the original, I'd like to see what you would do on that pattern. I've actually caught some fish on them :)
That is an old steelhead pattern I was not familiar with. 1890s Eel River. Found mention of it in Trey Combs Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies. I found a variation that I'll give a try. You can let me know what you think.