Lady's Night Swap - Flies Mailed and swap closed

WWKimba

Reaction score
March is Women's History Month and I'd like to do a swap to honor this theme. All you need to do is tie your favorite (or any) fly pattern designed by a woman. It can be a historical pattern (for example Megan Boyd's famous salmon patterns, Elsie Darby's dry fly patterns or Josephine Sedlecky-Borsum's patterns from Michigan), newer pattern (Nadia Stancev or Leslie Wrixon - chosen as the tyer for the 2006 US Fly Fishing Team at the World Championships), or your own pattern (if you are a lady!) or guys - one from your wife, mother or daughter - just look at the history of Maine's Maple Syrup fly!

Sign-up for this swap is via a PM (personal message) to me. Please include your screen name/real name/E-mail/phone #/regular mailing address - I have heard of problems on some previous swaps and this is to help address some of those previous concerns. This information will be between you and me only and only for the duration of this swap. I do NOT share any personal information with any other person/company/entity! Also, the pattern and name of the originator of that pattern. I will PM you with my reach info as well as your confirmation into this swap (with the understanding that it is ONLY used for this swap - good for the goose ...!). There needs to be a minimum of 6 registrants by March 7th to justify holding this swap and the swap registration will close at 12 tyers OR on March 7th.

This swap is open to ALL level/experience tyers! If you are newer to tying and/or fly swaps please include this information to me in your PM - this way I can offer additional assistance so your experience is a fun one! And for all interested - I'm retired and check this site at least once a day every day and am most happy to help address any questions/queries/concerns. I want this swap to be fun for ALL participants.

Flies need to be to me by March 31st and do not forget your toe tags and your stamped - self addressed return envelopes.

1 - FlukeFly - Pink Lady dry - Helen Shaw - received
2 - --drop due to cost--
3 - bocianca1 - Lady Jo Caddis - Josephine Sedlecky-Borsum - received
4 - ottosmagic13 - AC Brown Bug - Alice Conba - received
5 - mikemac1 - 1-2-1 Guide Tag - Karen Brooks
6 - iv-wjb - March Brown - Winnie Dette received
7 -
8 -
9 -
10-
11 -
12 -

By the way this is the first swap for me to host on this site. I have been hosting and participating in swaps for the past 10+ years on Fly Angler's On-Line and most recently the Fly Tying Forum sites so I am far from new at this. I use the same handle on each of these sites (this one included). I've been tying flies for 50 years now and hope I can share and learn some more information on this wonderful hobby from this site. Below is an OLD picture of me demonstrating tying flies on a homemade WOODEN vise - there's a back-up vise in the foreground.

DSC_0652.JPG

Last edited:

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
March is also my birthday

I'm interested. I'm going to have to do some research before committing. If I have a pattern to by February break - mid February - I'll tie in.

Any links to famous patterns? I'm mostly a trout nymph guy but I'm willing to branch out.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

WWKimba

Reaction score
Got one tyer with another to get back to me on this swap. Let's see some interest! I'd love to honor the ladies that have contributed to this fine art and hobby and would REALLY LOVE to see some women join this swap and have a chance to promote their patterns!

bocianka1

Reaction score
Like Otto, I'm interested, but I just need to do some research and find a pattern by a lady tier. I know patterns I like, but I rarely know who invented them, much less the gender of the inventor. Sign me up with a pattern TBD.

I enjoy tying for the swaps and I always enjoy fishing everyone else's flies. This should be fun.. Thanks for volunteering to host. You should already have my contact info from the last swap. If you need me to PM the info again, let me know.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WWKimba

Reaction score
I'd like to get AT MINIMUM 6 tyers by March 7th to justify holding this swap. If anyone has questions/concerns/reservations that you need me to address just message me and I'll be most happy to answer them. As I did say - this swap IS open to new tyers (in fact I encourage you to try this out!) and I will provide any extra help anyone needs to participate successfully in this swap.

With COVID I know that, in particular, newer tyers have found it practically impossible (and uncomfortable) to attend an in-person tying class. I do offer support in my swaps for any new tyer to help them develop better tying ability.

And YES I can be long winded!

Thanks for your consideration.

Kim

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I'll participate - let me know if we get to 6. I've decided to tie one of Alice Conba's Patterns that has worked in the past but I haven't tied recently. I have clear flat ribbing and peacock icedub and some standard scud hook's.

AC Brown Bug.
1614010989291.png

Reactions: LOC

WWKimba

Reaction score
Thank you ottosmagic13 you are in! Alice is a fine example of one of today's master fly tyers! I love the simplicity and effectiveness of her patterns.

And yes I will keep you informed as to whether the swap runs or not. Keeping my fingers crossed and doing what I can to promote it!🤞

Kim

BTW, please send me your reach info I requested in the opening post, and thanks from a fellow NYer!

Last edited:

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Well I figured even if the swap doesn't fire I'll fish the flies. So here it goes, a dozen AC Brown with tying steps:

Didn't put the text on the last step but it's "dub collar and whip finish behind eye" "apply small amount of head cement with needle"20210225_210642.jpg20210225_193426.jpg20210225_202247.jpg20210225_202352.jpg20210225_202518.jpg20210225_202652.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

bocianka1

Reaction score
After some searching, (thanks Kim for the suggested references), i've decided to try my hand at Josephine Sedlecky-Borsum's Lady Jo Caddis dry fly pattern (or at least a version of it). Here's a picture of the original for a reference.
lady jo caddis.jpg

Designed as a Hexagenia fly for Michigan, it reportedly works as a good searching pattern as it is similar to many caddis flies when tied in small-medium sizes.
Hopefully we get enough tiers to move forward. Looking forward to the swap.

mikemac1

Reaction score
Kim, I’ll play.

Fly: 1-2-1 Guide Tag By Karen Brooks, Tasmania, AU. Karen is the leading female casting instructor in AU and probably the only female guide in Tasmania. “The 1-2-1 Guide Tag” is a great all rounder, buoyant and visible when polaroiding on clear bright days, in wind lanes on grey blustery days, drifted down likely lies in rivers and streams, during beetle hatches or as a searching fly. It can also be used to suspend a nymph or in tandem with an emerger pattern.” - Australia‘s Best Flies - Revisited (2016) by Malcolm CrosseBZN31058.JPG

Last edited:

WWKimba

Reaction score
After some searching, (thanks Kim for the suggested references), i've decided to try my hand at Josephine Sedlecky-Borsum's Lady Jo Caddis dry fly pattern (or at least a version of it). Here's a picture of the original for a reference.
View attachment 32216

Designed as a Hexagenia fly for Michigan, it reportedly works as a good searching pattern as it is similar to many caddis flies when tied in small-medium sizes.
Hopefully we get enough tiers to move forward. Looking forward to the swap.
Love her flies - simple to tie and they catch fish! Her Tan Fury was was her signature fly but I do love the pattern you chose!

Kim

WWKimba

Reaction score
Mike, you are in and I love that 1) you chose a current tyer and 2) an international tyer AND 3) an Ausie! I look forward to your ties!

Kim

WWKimba

Reaction score
If I missed sharing MY reach info with anyone just PM me and I'll get it right out to you. There's a thought running through my mind that I missed someone!

Kim

WWKimba

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we've lost an international tyer due to the postage cost. Let me advise that 1) the swap is still on, 2) since I'm retired, and have some time on my hands, I will be including at least 8 different flies from 4 women originators, and 3) I like to include a gift or two when I host and I can say that one gift will be some Berroco UF 1614 Steel Cut Oats yarn. This yarn almost perfectly matches the color of Chadwick's 477 yarn - the yarn made famous by Frank Sawyer and his Killer Bug pattern.

So far I have a couple flies received in the mail and I look forward to seeing the rest.

Kim

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Sorry to read that you’ve lost a participant... If I can help by supplying another pattern, just let me know. Happy to help in any way I can.

WWKimba

Reaction score
It's up to you Wallace and I thank you for the offer! As I said I am retired and either I clean the house or tie flies and well....! Either way, you know i would love to see your ties up close my friend! BTW, if you have already mailed your first flies please DO NOT send any more under a separate cover! Remember, you too, are considered an international swapper. ;)

Kim

bocianka1

Reaction score
Tied up my Lady Jo Caddis flies for the swap. Dropped them in the mail today.

I found these to be more challenging than expected. It is my first using calf fur and my first time using fur of any kind for the upright wings.
The calf fur was slippery and didn't want to cooperate so I tried a few using bleached deer hair instead. As a result, a few have more of an Adam's look with the wings flaired into the hackle. I also swapped out the calf fur on a few for stiffer tail fiber. Not my most consistent work.

I think they'll catch fish though.

Thanks Kim for hosting the swap. Looking forward to everyone's flies.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk