Lamson Speedster vs Speedster HD for Trout spey

LOC

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a reel to match a 10'6" #4 trout spey rod.

The Speedster is currently on sale and it's a good match considering the reel's physical weight for my rod. I've owned a few generations of the Litespeed so I have good experience with Lamson reels.

Question, for those who may own one is it worth getting the HD for the full cage vs the standard?

The point being the full cage will not have any problems with the running line getting trapped between the frame and spool vs the standard non full cage.

I owned a first gen Litespeed and I do remember at the time the running line getting caught between the frame and spool. Currently on the newer models I own I have never had that issue. I chalked it up to better tolerances on the newer models.

So if you have a standard speedster on a two hand rod are you having any trouble with line getting caught in the frame or is it pretty much a non issue. In the HD I would get the #3 to match my rod and in the standard I would go with the #3.5 because of the weight differences. The 3.5 standard would have a slightly larger arbor. Thanks

eastfly66

Reaction score
I can't speak about the Litespeed reels but on my trout spey 3-5 wt I use only full cage now. Too many times I've had the running line slip thru and on some pretty high end reels too. I think it would be worth the extra coin to make it a non issue. Just a note, I don't use mono either ... Rio .024 running lines.

ryc72

Reaction score
If the line you plan on using is integrated then I think you will be okay without a full cage reel. But if you’re gonna use mono like lazar line then a full cage reel is probably best. I’ve used the lamson micra and the gen 4 litespeed reels as well as Bauer reels for my trout speys with lazar line and it definitely slips through. The integrated lines don’t seem to slip through as often. It doesn’t always happen but it happens often enuff that I notice it.

LOC

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the insight.
I'll fish with a full Scandi and single hand spey line for some duties and then
a Skagit head and thin running line for other duties. So yeah I'll will go with the full frame reel.... Skol

prmike307

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the insight.
I'll fish with a full Scandi and single hand spey line for some duties and then
a Skagit head and thin running line for other duties. So yeah I'll will go with the full frame reel.... Skol
Good choice! I've changed to full cage reels on all my spey outfits.