Lamson Waterworks

flyking12

Reaction score
Hi all. I just purchased a new Sage X 490 and am trying to pair the right reel to it. I have a Lamson Waterworks on my 6 wt. I quite like it but NOT impressed with the way the spool needs to be pulled with all your strength to get it off the reel. Just wondering if Lamson has changed this design?

mattd3379

Reaction score
Hi all. I just purchased a new Sage X 490 and am trying to pair the right reel to it. I have a Lamson Waterworks on my 6 wt. I quite like it but NOT impressed with the way the spool needs to be pulled with all your strength to get it off the reel. Just wondering if Lamson has changed this design?
I am not sure which Lamson reel you currently have but my 4/5 Litespeed Micra 5 is to light for my X 590 and my Zephrus 8'6" 4 wt. I'd look at something like the Ross Animas 5/6 to balance out the rod better, more backing capacity as well.

el jefe

Reaction score
I'm not sure which model Lamson you have, but if it is one of the Sage-type reels, push the spool out from the backside instead of pulling from the frontside. And do it over a soft surface. Don't ask how I know...

LOC

Reaction score
I'm not sure which model Lamson you have, but if it is one of the Sage-type reels, push the spool out from the backside instead of pulling from the frontside. And do it over a soft surface. Don't ask how I know...
Ha, and yes I had my first Lamson for quite a while before someone showed me how to properly remove the spool.

Op grab the reel so the drag knob is facing you with two hands. Your fingers are on the front side and your thumbs should be on the backside like you are going to pass a book to someone with two hands. Line up the spool spokes so it's in between the reel frame where it is cut out.
Now you're going to press the spool with your thumbs from behind and it should pop out.

flyking12

Reaction score
Thanks you guys! Since starting to research which reel I am going to purchase, I have inadvertently come across how to take the spool off of these Lamson type reels properly ha ha!

flyking12

Reaction score
I am not sure which Lamson reel you currently have but my 4/5 Litespeed Micra 5 is to light for my X 590 and my Zephrus 8'6" 4 wt. I'd look at something like the Ross Animas 5/6 to balance out the rod better, more backing capacity as well.
I didn’t realize it was possible to actually go too light with some of these super light rods. The Lampson guru ll gets pretty good reviews with some people complaining it’s a bit heavy. Perhaps that might be good in this case?

mattd3379

Reaction score
I didn’t realize it was possible to actually go too light with some of these super light rods. The Lampson guru ll gets pretty good reviews with some people complaining it’s a bit heavy. Perhaps that might be good in this case?
When I say to heavy I mean that it makes the rods swing weight heavier. I did not like the Litespeed on either of the mentioned rods. Also wasn't great on a Hardy Shadow 8'6" 5 wt or the Scott GS 885/4. But for some this is preference. I am sure a bunch of people could chime in as to their preferred balance/setup.

LOC

Reaction score
When I say to heavy I mean that it makes the rods swing weight heavier. I did not like the Litespeed on either of the mentioned rods. Also wasn't great on a Hardy Shadow 8'6" 5 wt or the Scott GS 885/4. But for some this is preference. I am sure a bunch of people could chime in as to their preferred balance/setup.
For trout I go for the classic balance. Somewhere between where your forefinger and thumb grip the rod.
On a 5wt and below the swing weight is not that critical like you are going to get fatigued but for myself fishing a dry fly rod I want it to be feel like a magic wand or an extension of my arm. If you're fishing a 10 to 12 wt all day it's more critical how your setup balances. You want your swing weight as low as possible.

Tirade

Reaction score
I own quote a few Lamson reels and love them but Ive learned the hard way (twice now) that you need to check the spool nut every now and then or the whole spool will come off while fishing. I make it a habit to check that but and the reel seat nut from time to time.

ryc72

Reaction score
tirade, do you have them as right hand wind? I’ve had that happen to me but only when I have them setup as right hand wind. Not once as left hand wind.

Tirade

Reaction score
tirade, do you have them as right hand wind? I’ve had that happen to me but only when I have them setup as right hand wind. Not once as left hand wind.
You know, I bought them both used and they already had backing on them. I never checked. If thats the case that would be great!

Tirade

Reaction score
Confirmed that was the case on one of them. The other one may just not have been tightened. Thanks!

ryc72

Reaction score
Yah. Now on my right hand wind lamsons I make sure to tighten the drag screw every time before I start fishing. On my eft hand wind lamsons I don’t give it a second thought.

prmike307

Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. I learned the hard way too. BTW I have a couple of Sage Domain full cage reels on my spey rods that I still can't remove the spool!