Last minute Northern Woods trip

Baitkiller

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for the addition to this awesome forum. My kids (young adults) and I are Florida Folk and are placed in Marco Island Florida. However we are looking for a summer break before classes begin and I thought it time they saw the big lake in person. The plan, if one could call it that and accommodations not withstanding, is to fly into Duluth and head to the apostles and take a kayak tour, grab a beer at Toms then head (South?) for a mix of fishing and golf. Would really like a couple of drift boat trips and the ability to shore fish on a whim when opportunity presents. We are not golf snobs and require only decent greens and a reasonable pace. Google has lead me to Hayward but i have the gut feeling I would be driving past an awful lot of good fishing and golfing along the way. We are fully kitted from 5 weight through 12 weight tarpon rigs. Will be sending our clubs Shipstix more than likely as dragging four bags through an airport sounds like pure Hell to me.
Sorry about the novelette but I am begging for some solid recommendations that fit the plan for locations, lakes, rivers and guides. in NW Wisconsin that are not found on Tripadvisor. I figure there's more than a few golfers on here as well so please add anything you can add in that arena as well. Plan is for early August and staying 7 to 10 days.
Thanks so much,
Would also like to add that my son runs a technical poling skiff in the 10K islands and Choko so the barter system is certainly on the table.
Capt. John Campbell AMS / Baitkiller SAMS / ABYC
Marco Island FL.

driftless22

Reaction score
In regard to drift boat trips, I would recommend the Hayward Fly Fishing Company. Their primary target is Smallmouth Bass during the summer, and Muskies in the fall.
They fish several rivers in NW Wisconsin, including the Chippewa, Flambeau, St. Croix and the Namekagon. All of these rivers usually fish well, and all of them are scenic float trips. I have fished with their guides, and as I mentioned above, would definitely recommend them.

Baitkiller

Reaction score
Every thing has changed.
I picked up a job August 9 and 10 in Boyne mi. So now we are flying into grand rapids Tuesday the 3rd and golfing fishing our way North. First stop muskegon. That's all I have so far.