Leaky Waders

troutma99

Reaction score
My bootfoot breathable waders have at least one small hole in them. Waters not gushing in or anything, but by the end of the day, there's a nice inch of water in my right boot :)

If they were neoprene stockingfoot I'd just pour water inside and roll it up until the pressure forces the water out of the holes. But they aren't neoprene and I'm concerned that the inside of the boot would have trouble drying.

Anyone know the best way to locate the leaks so I can patch them up?

troutma99

Reaction score
Cheap Cabelas ones.

My regular pair is getting small, so I have to use these until I buy a new pair.

And thanks for the tip. I know that has a lot of addatives in it... any possible negative side effects of spraying it on?

cowboymi

Reaction score
Switch to stocking foot waders. They are cheaper in the long run because you buy the boot separate from the waders. I went from boot foot to stocking foot pure rubber then finally $200 gortex all are only good for a year before they leak except the last ones.

troutma99

Reaction score
Switch to stocking foot waders. They are cheaper in the long run because you buy the boot separate from the waders. I went from boot foot to stocking foot pure rubber then finally $200 gortex all are only good for a year before they leak except the last ones.

I have 3 pairs of waders... breathble bootfoots (my backup), neoprene stockingfoots (for winter), and breathable stockingfoots (my main waders).

I like the bootfoot better than my stockingfoot waders, because they are quicker for me to put on and off among other things. Just my personal preference though.

Although I see what you're saying... if boot size changes you can use the same waders still.

chechem

Reaction score
Like said above, I like bootfoot because they're quick and easy.
Had a small leak this year in pair #1, so I returned them to LL Bean for full refund. Hard to beat their guarantee!!

plecain

Reaction score
...so I returned them to LL Bean for full refund. Hard to beat their guarantee!!
True. You can't beat the guarantee.

My problem is that I had to use it twice in a single season. Two sets of waders sprung leaks around the knees. The second set also leaked where the bootie attached.

Went with Redington after the second issue.

chechem

Reaction score
True. You can't beat the guarantee.

My problem is that I had to use it twice in a single season. Two sets of waders sprung leaks around the knees. The second set also leaked where the bootie attached.

Went with Redington after the second issue.
The ones I returned this summer (2016) were bought during 2011. Not saying I fished them every weekend, but they had quite a few miles on them.
:thumbsupu

wf0

Reaction score
I like the alcohol method. Before, I shined a flashlight through the inside of the wader to find holes and seams where the light shines through. Mark it with a pen/marker, then turn on the lights and hit it with UV Aquaseal.

chechem

Reaction score
I like the alcohol method. Before, I shined a flashlight through the inside of the wader to find holes and seams where the light shines through. Mark it with a pen/marker, then turn on the lights and hit it with UV Aquaseal.
Conversely, you can take them outside into the sunshine and stick your head inside. You'll see the pin holes.

winstonwt

Reaction score
It might be hard to beat their warranty but the time spent sending them back and waiting for another pair is time not on the water,unless you have a backup pair.My solution,buy betters waders,not cheap ones.

fishgolf

Reaction score
Finding and patching weep holes are indeed a pain. The video provided is about the best DIY approach. I Aqua Seal both sides when I do locate the source.

JoJer

Reaction score
I chased a lot of leaks thru 5 or 6 pairs of waders of many different materials. Mine were often used or cheap or both. I always turned them inside out, filled them with water, marked the leaks with a crayon or sharpie, then make the Aqua Seal repair on the outside.
Last year I upgraded to Orvis Silver Sonics. No more needle holes. I like 'em.

m3moser

Reaction score
Almost does not matter how much you spend on a pair of waders, by the very nature of walking river banks, walking through the many brambles and old barbed wire fencing or whatever else sharp and nasty we all encounter on a stream bank, sooner or later a hole will develop. Even a constant fold of the material in the same place over time will wear away the material enough to allow water to weep through. Aqua Seal seems to be the choice of many manufacturers (not sure how many actual companies make waders while others rebrand them with their own names) and a small tube should come with each pair along with some sort of repair kit. The spray bottle with alcohol works great.